About inserting windows

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: About inserting windows

Post by yorik »

For me the window seems to be inserted correctly...

About the window placement, we still have a problem with that, indeed it is hard to place a window precisely. The main problem for me is that I find it a very important feature that the windows are based on sketches, because it makes them extremely powerful, you can basically turn any shape your imagination can produce into a window. The problem is of course that we cannot use the sketcher tools to lock the position of the window on the wall, because that would create a dependency loop between the window and the wall. I was waiting to see what external constraints the assembly module could offer, actually...

But your ideas seem good, it might already help a lot. And indeed I guess not many people use the "start from scratch" entry, so it could be removed from that list, and be turned into a button.

Restricting the preset windows to the active workplane might indeed be handy, and I liked the idea of being able to add windows in plan view :)
rockn
Veteran

Re: About inserting windows

Post by rockn »

Hi Yorik,

Of course it's important that windows are sketches based. This feature is great as you say.
I am just saying that the ui with preseted windows is more friendly so show it by default clould be user friendly.
yorik wrote: it could be removed from that list, and be turned into a button.
Exactly what I am thinking.
yorik wrote:Restricting the preset windows to the active workplane might indeed be handy, and I liked the idea of being able to add windows in plan view :)
Me too.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com