[ArchWall - PR Merged] Auto-creating ArchSketch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

[ArchWall - PR Merged] Auto-creating ArchSketch

Post by paullee »

EDIT - PR Merged in this post
EDIT - PR submitted in this post

Following the problem in this Door in a Wall Question discussion, proposing to add features in ArchWall tool as follow:-

If SketchArch external Add-on is present, then -
  1. ArchWall tool will create ArchSketch rather than Sketch as Base
    (if 'Use Sketch' is selected in Preference)
  2. When creating Wall and snapped to existing Walls (the last object snapped on) the Base of which is not ArchSketch, the Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch
    (if 'Join walls base sketches when possible' is selected in Preference)
Any comments ? :)

ArchWall.py
(81.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-32.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-32.png (234.1 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-39.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-39.png (207.38 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-53.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-15 03-12-53.png (224.53 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
Palmtree

Re: [ArchWall] Auto-creating ArchSketch

Post by Palmtree »

paullee wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 pm Any comments ? :)
    Hi @paullee, please refer to my attached comments:
    1 - It is very good idea ... this will reduce time and avoid the tedious repeat such as... to leave a current working bench ==> go and open the ArchSketch WB ==> Click on “Icon - New Arch ArchSketch” ==> Leave back to the working/current working (BIM WB) ==> click on wall icon to create one.

paullee wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 pm When creating Wall and snapped to existing Walls (the last object snapped on) the Base of which is not ArchSketch, the Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch
    2 - I will recommend a pop-up Notice/Warning massage "" the Base of the last object snapped on is not an ArchSketch item, the Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch"" ==> Do you want to proceed ==> YES, No / Do not Show this message again

3 - For users who are not yet aware of the difference between the current FreeCad base sketch - and the new ArchSketch sketch , I have attached a simple file and images to show that:
    • current FreeCad wall base sketch is simple (Image1)
    • ArchSketch sketch is more advance and has more properties (image2 &3)
    @paullee what is the purpose of the file (ArchWall.py) you have attached?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
    Version: 0.21.30305 (Git)
    Build type: Release
    Branch: master
    Hash: 5ffc2e10b69971e2cdcd798c4deacf44d407fd77
    Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
    Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
    Installed mods: 
      * Behave-Dark-Colors 0.1.1
      * BIM 2021.12.0
      * Design456 0.0.1
      * dodo
      * Dracula 0.0.2
      * fasteners 0.4.3
      * Help 1.0.3
      * Parts_library
      * PieMenu
      * ProDarkThemePreferencePack 1.0.0
      * Reinforcement
      * SketchArch

Attachments
    Wall.FCStd
    (29.1 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
    Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg (461.05 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
    Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg (453.53 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
    Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg (576.04 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
    Last edited by Palmtree on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
    paullee
    Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks for the comments :)

Palmtree wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:49 am 2 - I will recommend a pop-up Notice/Warning massage "" the Base of the last object snapped on is not an ArchSketch item, the Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch"" ==> Do you want to proceed ==> YES, No / Do not Show this message again
    Indeed good idea to alert users, but would become tedious if dialogue comes up every time.

Maybe a button to switch on/off the behaviour to automatic swap sketch/ArchSketch.

Palmtree wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:49 am 3 - For users who are not yet aware of the difference between the current FreeCad base sketch - and the new ArchSketch sketch , I have attached a simple file and images to show that:
    • current FreeCad wall base sketch is simple (Image1)
    • ArchSketch sketch is more advance and has more properties (image2 &3)
    Good diagrams for wiki :)

Palmtree wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:49 am @paullee what is the purpose of the file (ArchWall.py) you have attached?
    You may replace the same file in your FC to get the proposed features.

For testing and debugging :D
    Palmtree

Post by Palmtree »

Thanks for your response and your new feature built in the new (“ArchWall.py”), I love it, it seems you have read my mind. Now it is so easy to use the ArchSketch

The following images and attached model are intended to describe the changes to improve/automate creating a wall to the latest method proposed by @paullee

I have save a copy of the original FC file to “ArchWall-Backup.py”. (1- ArchWall.py Replaced.jpg)
    I have placed a copy of “ArchWall.py” attached by paullee @ [ArchWall] Auto-creating ArchSketch
    Post by paullee » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 am.

I have created a new separate wall (Wall002 - bottom) – Note that it is automatically used the new ArchSketch as the base sketch (Image # 3)

I have connected the top and the middle walls (Wall003 - middle) – Note that it is automatically used the new ArchSketch as the base sketch (Image #3)

By using the new file from @paullee (ArchWall.py) ==> All new walls created after this change are all ArchSketch as base sketch (Image #3)

Important Notice - For Good Result - You Need to Comply Order of Connection - Refer to @paullee post:
    paullee wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:14 pm [*]When creating Wall and snapped to existing Walls (the last object snapped on) the Base of which is not ArchSketch, the Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch
    [/list]
    Top wall is done earlier using the simple sketch as the base
    Middle wall is created after the update of ArchWall.py ( new ArchSketch)
    connecting top to middle ===> No good ==> Base object will not be changed to an ArchSketch (top wall - image #4)
    connecting middle to top ===> Good ==> Base object will be changed to an ArchSketch (top wall - image #5)

@paullee I love to test your new feature ==> if possible please keep uploading the ArchWall.py after each major change/update.   
    Attachments
    1- ArchWall.py Replaced.jpg
    1- ArchWall.py Replaced.jpg (306.79 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
    2-Wall Befor Was Simple-R2.jpg
    2-Wall Befor Was Simple-R2.jpg (479.04 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
    3-Note that it is automatically used the new ArchSketch as the base sketck-R2.jpg
    3-Note that it is automatically used the new ArchSketch as the base sketck-R2.jpg (773.68 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
    4-Connecting Top to Midle Wall - No Good .jpg
    4-Connecting Top to Midle Wall - No Good .jpg (572.13 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
    5-Connecting Midddle to Top Wall - Good .jpg
    5-Connecting Midddle to Top Wall - Good .jpg (455.93 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
    paullee
    Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks for the testing, comments and illustrations @Palmtree !

This is really a lot of work and helpful. There are many Pull Requests (bug fixes, new features etc.) for Draft, Arch & BIM e.g. by Roy_043, really need more peoples to help testing, documentation, publicity ... :D
    Palmtree

Post by Palmtree »

Palmtree wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:10 am
    The following images and attached models are intended to describe the changes to improve/automate creating a wall to the latest method proposed by @paullee

This post is to re-upload the models. Fortum, initially, did not allow upload (limit may be exceeded).
    Attachments
    Wall Using paullee's ArckSketc This post Improvement-1Top to Bottom.FCStd
    (52.37 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
    Wall Using paullee's ArckSketc This post Improvement-2Bottom to Top.FCStd
    (38.87 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
    Palmtree

Post by Palmtree »

paullee wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:46 pm This is really a lot of work and helpful. There are many Pull Requests (bug fixes, new features etc.) for Draft, Arch & BIM e.g. by Roy_043, really need more peoples to help testing, documentation, publicity ... :D
    I am a fan of FC :D
    I wish if I can do more than testing/documentation. I appreciate how much work and time you (the few developers) putting in this great huge system FreeCad :D :D :D :D :D
    paullee
    Veteran

Post by paullee »

Palmtree wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:11 am I wish if I can do more than testing/documentation. I appreciate how much work and time you (the few developers) putting in this great huge system FreeCad :D :D :D :D :D
    In fact, I am just a Python beginner; just try adding some very basic features, fixing some bugs; Roy_043 by contrast is an advanced coder !

Python is simple in fact, and I found everyone can try to be an Arch/BIM developer as the WBs are python; interested ? :D

And if there is any features / bugs in your mind about SketchArch or Arch/BIM, please post to help development.
    paullee
    Veteran

Post by paullee »

Before any further features/improvement are suggested, may try do a PR to see if the core developers accept it :)
    Roy_043
    Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

paullee wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:42 pm Roy_043 by contrast is an advanced coder
    I am afraid I still struggle too much for this to be the case, but thanks anyway. :mrgreen: