Support of Draft Object

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Support of Draft Object

Post by rockn »

Hi,
When I draw a draft object with snap help of an Arch object, the Draft Object get support of Arch Object so we can't use the Draft object of base to a Substraction object (Extrude) for this Arch object. I get a DAG error.
Workaround is to create Draft object in a clear area without use of snap mode then place the Draft object...
Have you the same behavior ?

I was thinking about a feature (at least I don't if it's already here) for Add/Remove component tools.
Like the window tool make a hole in Arch Object, the Add/remove buttons can add an extrusion or make a pocket in the Arch object from a Sketch. It's keep the Arch object at top levels.

I'm starting the hard work (machining) on this project :D
It's a pleasure to model it in FC ;)
JolieCharpente01.jpg
JolieCharpente01.jpg (316.59 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Re: Support of Draft Object

Post by yorik »

Hm yes. The thing is, the Draft tools do that so they behave the same way as sketches, you can use them as a base for pockets, for example.

One way we could solve this is to force the user to have a selected face if he wants to add that face as support. Otherwise no support is defined. I think that would satisfy both uses...

For Add/Remove tools, you mean something like: select a 2d object and an arch object, and it would automatically create an extrusion or a subtraction?
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hi Yorik,
yorik wrote:One way we could solve this is to force the user to have a selected face if he wants to add that face as support. Otherwise no support is defined. I think that would satisfy both uses...
Yeah I like this behavior, I will try later (it's commit 14292c1 no ?)
yorik wrote:For Add/Remove tools, you mean something like: select a 2d object and an arch object, and it would automatically create an extrusion or a subtraction?
Yeah, something like that. It's create directly an arch object from the 2d object and add or remove it from the Arch object.

We have :
Arch Object
2D Object

We get :
Arch Obect
---Arch Object001
------2D Object
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

rockn wrote:
yorik wrote:One way we could solve this is to force the user to have a selected face if he wants to add that face as support. Otherwise no support is defined. I think that would satisfy both uses...
Yeah I like this behavior, I will try later (it's commit 14292c1 no ?)
It's perfect ! Thank you !
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The problem is that if you have a 2D object and an arch object selected, you press "Add" to create an extrusion of the 2D object, we need an extra input (the length of the extrusion). If we silently add an intermediary object (extrusion or pad), many new users will fail to understand what happened. And adding an extra dialog or UI elements is much work for a small functionality gain... I have to think better on how to do it.