Remove component from draft or sketch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rockn
Veteran

Remove component from draft or sketch

Post by rockn »

Hi Yorik,
Do you think it's possible to have a feature that allow to remove component to an arch object from a sketch. Like pocket in Part Design.
In writing this I imagine that this demand that the operation would be managed in the Components feature of the Arch object.

This feature can allow that all machining operation can be linked (face and external geometries) to the arch object and so move with the parent arch object. This also allow to keep the Arch object to be a parent of all machining operation.

I know that this is principaly for wood construction modeling.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Re: Remove component from draft or sketch

Post by yorik »

You can already add an object to the "Subtractions" property of an arch object. That will create the subtraction. But the subtracted object won't move when the host object is moved. At the moment, only windows will move together with their host.

But now, I have an idea that could be cool: Why not add an additional property to all arch objects, that would define if they must be moved together with their host object or not. That property would be turned on by default for windows, but you could then apply that behaviour to any other arch object.

Would that serve for what you are thinking?
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Yeah, it's an interesting approach. :D
I will make some picture and experiment to show what I am thinking.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

So, what I imagine it's a feature that allow to do this :
I have a timber (Structure) with an addition (Tenon), this tenon have to make a substraction in the other timber (Structure001), but it have to be a little bigger, so I add substraction (Mortaise) to Structure001.
What could be awesome is that when I move Structure, Tenon move with him (that correspond to the idea you explain to me), and Mortaise move also with him. That say that we have to define what object we want that move with other, and not only with their host.
WoodAssembly.fcstd
(16 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
WoodAssembly.png
WoodAssembly.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hmm that's a little bit more complicated. At the moment I'm not sure how we can make an "external" object move together with another one... And also there is the fact that the assembly module will provide tools specially for that...

But maybe we can find a provisory solution, I must think a bit more...
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

yorik wrote:Hmm that's a little bit more complicated.
Yes, I think too. And you're right, assembly module can provide this.
Of course the move object with their host it's already a good idea.
Thanks
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay, I'll already implement the first idea, then we see... issue #1820
mghansen256

Post by mghansen256 »

I think the problem is similar to this one where a sketch and the parent objects are supposed to be moved together, and a macro is proposed that selects all parent objects so they can be moved. I am using this macro now when moving unions/subtractions of parts, and it also works fine on moving structures that you describe here, like an arch structure object with a base object and an addition/subtraction.

Perhaps this can be made an option for Draft::Move, to always move the parent objects instead of the derived objects? Edit->Duplicate for example also asks whether it should duplicate dependencies when you duplicate a part union.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

mghansen256 wrote:Perhaps this can be made an option for Draft::Move, to always move the parent objects instead of the derived objects? Edit->Duplicate for example also asks whether it should duplicate dependencies when you duplicate a part union.
IMHO this would introduce much more headache than it would solve. And it is very important, I think, that the draft move moves only the selected objects, otherwise many people will not understand what happens under the hood. Besides, all objects keep very clear the difference between moving a "parent" and a "child" object, and react accordingly (or prevent one of them, if needed, as PartDesign does).

Yesterday I committed a change that I believe will be pretty powerful: All Arch objects now have a "Move With Host" property that, if set to True, will make them move together with any parent Arch object they are included in. So the user has precise control over what he wants to obtain.

Note that this "grouped move" at the moment will only happen if you use Draft Move or Draft Rotate. Changing the Placement will not move the children (yet. I must still figure out a way to handle Placement changes more reliably)
CAD_Challenged

Post by CAD_Challenged »

Is there approach to moving Subtractions with Arch Structure?

Subtractions represent cuts to beam. Subtractions appear to have rotated with beams when using Draft Rotate. Want to move beams such that bottom faces are on same plane. Subtractions to not appear to follow moves of beam.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments