Opinion about FreeCAD-Arch Module and suggestions

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Opinion about FreeCAD-Arch Module and suggestions

Post by bitacovir »

Hi. Just I want to comment my experience with FreeCAD during my practice with the arch tutorial.

General opinion:
I think that the program has reached a great level (about arch module). It was very simple and fluid the process of modelling. The tutorial provides a very useful way to understand the main FreeCAD features. Now I feel that the program is more friendly in its interaction with the user.

Problems detected:
The only problem observed was the lack of stability in the program which crash several times along the whole process. In general these fails were related with actions of surface extrude to create volumes from flat geometries. There were a lot of them, but fortunately the program offers other methods to do the same task. For example use structure command to create 3D shapes from 2D drawings. With that I could continue with the tutorial.

Suggestions:
Aside from the unstable condition of the program (which I think will be resolved with the time) I would recommend improve the arch tutorial (more detail steps in the roofs and windows stages) and elaborate additional tutorials (maybe shorter).
Another suggestions is to include in the Arch Module a tool to generate parametric arrangements of timbers as a grille. This could be very useful for structures of roofs, wall, ceilings, floors. Something that can use any flat surface as base to quickly generate structures like this:

Anyway the work made in FreeCAD is a valuable contribution to architects. Thanks and keep going!

Bitacovir-Rafael
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
rockn
Veteran

Re: Opinion about FreeCAD-Arch Module and suggestions

Post by rockn »

Hi bitacovir,

Nice to see that you are happy with Arch module of FreeCAD !

About crash :
First at the beginning we crash FreeCAD often, but after we learn what FreeCAD like or not and you are able to reduce those crash. I admit that it's difficult sometimes to reproduce crash or wrong results.
Don't hesitate to explain here when you can reproduce a crash, or if you see a bug, the Arch module is still in developemt and all users experiences and suggestions are welcome.

About suggestions :
Feel free to ask wiki permission in wiki section of this forum, to create more tutorial and contribute to the doc, we need you ;)
It look like the tutorial don't talk about this but there is an Arch_Axis feature that create structural system. Just create an arch object (structure), select it and click on this Image.

A+
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi Rafael,

I'm glad you took the time to study the arch workbench so deeply!

About the stability, it is true that there are still crashes, sometimes often, but you should see where we're coming from! There has already been incredible stability improvements since early versions, and it gets better and better over time. As you say, this is not something that can simply be "fixed". It basically depends greatly on users reporting reproducible bugs, so they can be fixed one by one... It's a slow, minutious work...

And as rockn says, most of the crashes come from the underlying OpenCasCade kernel, and with time you learn what it likes and doesn't like, and you learn to avoid "dangerous" things...

Rockn does a lot of things with woodwork like in your image too (and is beginning to write code for freecad too ;) ). If we have more users interested in that kind of things, it will certainly pushes things in the right direction!

I hope you stick around and give us some new ideas!
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

rockn and yorik, thanks for your responses.

rockn, I would like to cooperate with your wiki section. But that must wait until next year when I will be free of my PhD :)
Anyway, I will see your suggestion about the axes.

Just I am sharing a screenshot of the current stage of my model.
Screenshot from 2014-11-15 08_32_45.png
Screenshot from 2014-11-15 08_32_45.png (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Regards
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Great! Nice to see!

People like you using freecad is very precious to make the arch module evolve into THE thing we all want :) So don't hesitate to share your ideas for improvement!
icewater

Post by icewater »

Regarding the Arch tutorial - I am just getting started, but I have a suggestion that might improve the experience for new users (like myself).

It seems that in order to get started with the tutorial, it's recommended that the user:

- register with another site
- download dwg files from it
- download and install a converter utility
- manipulate the dwg with the converter

...before actually getting to the FreeCAD part of the tutorial.

Would it be possible to provide to the new user the end-product (floorplan?) generated from the above process?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You're right... I'm not sure if we have the right to publish the file officially though. I'll try to contact the author to get permission
(In the meantime: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/754 ... rtigas.dxf