[Work in progress] Farm shed

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
engdham

[Work in progress] Farm shed

Postby engdham » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 am

Hello,

I'm creating some gates for a farm shed located in Brazil, and I'm also trying to give some context to the future renderings, so I'm trying to replicate the actual building to learn how to use Draft and Arch Workbench better, even that I do not work with concrete or bricks structures in reality.

My objective is to recreate a BIM (or something related :? ) version of the existing shed to later include the gates I'm doing in a assembly2 (or maybe assembly3...) environment and render the whole thing.

The concrete structures were initially modeled with sketches and converted to arch structures, but at some moment, the column cuts sketches lost their references and became crazy (really...). Luckly the 3d geometry wasn't affected, so I used draft elements to create it again using the now dead original structure. All cold formed steel beams on the roof were modeled using sketches for positioning and the Frame and Beams Workbench. Draft arrays then made most of the work. As a stupid test I created the roof using arch panels and almost melt my computer, but after all it worked. Part Mirror was used to get the other side of the building covered as I failed to use draft mirror in 3D.

All work was done in FreeCAD 0.17, using mostly Windows 10 x64 but at some moments using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64.

I couldn't manage to add the images inside this post for better describe it.
Attachments
FreeCAD 3.jpg
FreeCAD 3.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 770 times
FreeCAD 2.jpg
FreeCAD 2.jpg (119.07 KiB) Viewed 770 times
FreeCAD 1.jpg
FreeCAD 1.jpg (118.32 KiB) Viewed 770 times
bitacovir

Re: [Work in progress] Farm shed

Postby bitacovir » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Good work. Thanks for sharing it.
Yes you need to be very careful with Sketcher. It is very strong but at the same time is very fragile. I recommend you to look in the forum about guides of good practices.

To put your images between paragraphs just place the cursor on a line and click the button "place inline"

EDIT: here some good suggestions from NormandC for a similar problem with sketches.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 25#p193808
::bitacovir::
===================================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

My Blog
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 am

Excellent job, thanks for sharing! Impressive result for a first... I can't wait to see the next ones :)

bitacovir said it all for sketches. Personally I use them only when really needed, whenever possible I do it with simpler draft objects.

The problem is, the sketcher has this algorithm that reconstructs the shape based on the constraints that you put in the sketch. As there are zillions of possibilities, the sketcher might not reconstruct the shape the same way twice (ie. the order of the edges might change) so it might be highly fragile to base other objects on them, if these objects deal with edge order somehow.

Draft objects on the other hand reconstruct their geometry always the same way given the same data (the points in a wire for example) so they are much more robust to change. I guess that's the impossible choice between freedom and consistency... Luckily we have both at hand :)
engdham

Postby engdham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 am

Thank you, bitacovir and yorik. :)

The sketch had a external reference (that I believe...) that was not modified. It was mapped to a vertical face, then latter it became horizontal on it's own, with lines mixed up.

It consisted of a series of rectangles in a vertical pattern, with distance and alignment between them done with auxiliary lines.

I do not know when the sketch became corrupt. When I finally realized, I was nearly finishing the upper structures.

I follow FreeCAD since 0.12 or something like this, but I'm using it actively for about a year (0.16+). I'm very used to skecthes (SolidWorks habit) and as Draft objects aren't exactly parametric in my vision I have some dificulties changing the models, if needed.

If only they could get a history tree, like a open sketch... :roll:
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

realthunder is working heavily on topo naming. We could have some good news there at some point... But most people here use sketches heavily, and they can get the work done, so that is no impossible task. I guess one just has to know the limitation and develop good habits to not let problems propagate very far...
paullee

Postby paullee » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Test that Realthundar's Work that Sketch no longer break ?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p249858 Merging of my Link branch