glider workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Varis

Re: glider workbench

Postby Varis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Hey!

Got it up and running, seems to look to be very useful, great work!

I tried changing the rib count and got the following error:

I can code, but more in Java, C. I do not know much Python, but should be easy to pick up.
Anyway I tried printing out the variables with

Code: Select all

print
to see what their values are, but nothing showed up :D

Do you have any ideas what could be up with this issue? Or can we chat in real-time on skype, slack or similar about development for this project? I have some use-cases for the workbench and am looking forward to make additions if needed and contribute back!
looo

Postby looo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:34 pm

nice, it is known to be not an easy task to install this workbench. But it seems to run good on your system.
I can reproduce your problem. You simple decreased the number of cells. There is no automatic way to reconfigure the lines to match a lower number of cells... So you have to remove some (all) lines before decreasing the number of cells.

I also think print should work. Maybe you have to redirect the internal python output to get the messages shown in the output-panel. (see my attached image. preferences->General->Output window)
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto von 2018-06-09 16-32-59.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2018-06-09 16-32-59.png (69.31 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Varis

Postby Varis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks! I got debug prints to work. Apparently "Record log messages" needs to be checked.

Removing the lines did help too! I also decreased the minimum rib-count to allow making gliders with 7 or 9 cells. I previously attempted modelling the parts with Seamly2D and Fusion360, but this seems a lot more dedicated.
looo

Postby looo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:38 pm

7 cells :shock:

btw. better use print(<text>) instead of print <text>. The latter is deprecated in python3.

edited!
Varis

Postby Varis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Yes, 7 cells for a pretty standart ram-air parachute. I heard someone even made a 5-cell one :D

I am looking around the workbench. What should be used to change the size of the air-intake holes in the front? I.e. is it possible to change the lengths of the material at the top and bottom? I thought it would be near airfoil settings, but haven't found it yet.
looo

Postby looo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Interesting project!

use the scissors-symbol. Then press on the button show lower side. select the cuts you want to move and move them by pressing g. Use ctrl to select multiple lines/points. use cut-type folded to create openings. orthogonalis for creating panels of different colors.
Mx74

Postby Mx74 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Hello,

You know the limitation of OpenGliderbetter than me, so I won't make a list here.
But is there any plan to make "advanced" rib holes and cross cells diagonales?
I guess it's not an easy task, but these are the most restraining missing features so far to me.

And evetually, curved cut for upper and lower surface design.
looo

Postby looo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Mx74 wrote:advanced" rib holes
advanced ribholes should be possible with some python coding. Maybe using a sketch as the base and a FeaturePython object for the rib-mapping. Currently I don't have time for implementing this feature. But I guess it shouldn't be too much work.
Mx74 wrote:cross cells diagonales?
OpenGlider doesn't support this yet. Our implementation is based on a cell, but I guess the better implementation should not depend on a cell but 2 ribs. If you have some time, please write a bug-report for openglider (issues)
Mx74 wrote:And evetually, curved cut for upper and lower surface design.
I don't think we are going to implement this feature. We talked already about it, but there are 100 other things which are more important. Maybe once we support the LSCM-relax method for unwrapping the panels (meshes). But currently we use a more simple method to find the flattened parts.
Mx74

Postby Mx74 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

advanced ribholes should be possible with some python coding. Maybe using a sketch as the base and a FeaturePython object for the rib-mapping. Currently I don't have time for implementing this feature. But I guess it shouldn't be too much work.
Well, if you say so, I can only trust you :-)
OpenGlider doesn't support this yet. Our implementation is based on a cell, but I guess the better implementation should not depend on a cell but 2 ribs. If you have some time, please write a bug-report for openglider
Sorry, not sure I understand you well, excuse my English.
I'm talking of diagonals running over 2 different cells, like this:

Is it also what you're thinking about?
looo

Postby looo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Mx74 wrote:Sorry, not sure I understand you well, excuse my English.
I'm talking of diagonals running over 2 different cells, like this:...
Is it also what you're thinking about?
yes exactly. alternatively you can use another style of diagonals. This should work with the current implementation:
double_diagonal.png
double_diagonal.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 585 times
there is now also a new tool available to inspect lines and the internal forces: