CAD Challenge

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
r-frank
Veteran

Re: CAD Challenge

Post by r-frank »

sgrogan wrote:we can host them on the FreeCAD/Examples and link to them from the wiki
Yes, that is what i am thinking about.
Hosting at the FreeCAD/Examples-Github Project the files and a png with the draft view with draft diemsnions of the part and an STL-Version
of the part itself (Github can interactively display STL-files).
In the wiki the image plus a linkt for the file to github and some info aboutm the file (FC version, notes ...) could be displayed.

@sgrogan: would you mind inviting me on Github as collaborator for the FreeCAD/Examples-Project?
Then I would be able to do merges myself ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

r-frank wrote:@sgrogan: would you mind inviting me on Github as collaborator for the FreeCAD/Examples-Project?
Then I would be able to do merges myself ...
Sure, let me see if I have the necessary permissions.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

sgrogan wrote: Sure, let me see if I have the necessary permissions.
We need Yorik, you need to be an admin if your and organization or team.
"fight the good fight"
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

A_3 wrote:This is something I'm working in my free time, a document (fcd2p.pdf) with technical drawings-examples for practice. I hope that this will help begginers to get familiar with FreeCAD.

Notice: This is not the final version.Probably there are some errors that I will remove the future( there is one missing E :evil: ), or I'll add more complex drawings. Until then enjoy in practice with current version.
That's a very good book.
I think a Usefull thing should be to have a correction proposal like this (with best looking)
1stExample1.png
1stExample1.png (244.75 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
With a graph as a possible solution, and maybe the list of workbench used.
in this case part design Next only, and maybe a skill level.... which is something very hard to estimate from my point of view
[Is there a way to remove unused feature like body origin .... in GraphViz?]

I'm open to create some of those sheets, if interested
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You may want to have a look at the DAG view as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15375. It has a far better integration into FreeCAD than the Graphviz tree.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
A_3

Post by A_3 »

@nemesis

All are free to join the project, according to their abilities, knowledge and time. Your proposal is excellent, and as chrisb say DAG is more elegant then GraphViz and takes up less space.

The version that I have post is completely unfinished. So let me add more technical drawings and make some order in paper, and from that point let's make workbook with material from other members who want to contribute.
Today I checked my old backup and found a large amount of documents which I will process and put in a workbook, in a few weeks or more (depends on my free time).
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

chrisb wrote:You may want to have a look at the DAG view as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15375. It has a far better integration into FreeCAD than the Graphviz tree.
Didn't thought about it, thanks. It's cleaner than graphviz, and less messy sure.
In one hand, Graphviz shows clearly all the steps but is very messy with all the links the origins, in another hand DAG view is cleaner, but I'm not sure it's easier to read for a beginner.
That is also true, that for a complex model, both will be hard to read I guess.
A_3 wrote:The version that I have post is completely unfinished. So let me add more technical drawings and make some order in paper, and from that point let's make workbook with material from other members who want to contribute.
Maybe a GitBook or a github with a OpenOffice document and the freeCAD files should be a good idea?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Before 0.17 the Graphviz dependency tree was perfect: Using only part design had to result in a single dependency line, using boolean operations from the Part WB made it a tree. With 0.17 things became much more complicated which I don't like at all because it is hard for me to see a clear picture behind it. However, I'm looking forward to see 0.17 coming, it has cool things.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

nemesis wrote:
chrisb wrote:You may want to have a look at the DAG view as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15375. It has a far better integration into FreeCAD than the Graphviz tree.
Didn't thought about it, thanks. It's cleaner than graphviz, and less messy sure.
In one hand, Graphviz shows clearly all the steps but is very messy with all the links the origins, in another hand DAG view is cleaner, but I'm not sure it's easier to read for a beginner.
That is also true, that for a complex model, both will be hard to read I guess.
A_3 wrote:The version that I have post is completely unfinished. So let me add more technical drawings and make some order in paper, and from that point let's make workbook with material from other members who want to contribute.
Maybe a GitBook or a github with a OpenOffice document and the freeCAD files should be a good idea?
Just FYI, nowadays you should really use/recommend LibreOffice. It is the more developed fork after Oracle came in and bought Sun, and with it the rights to OpenOffice. Give it a try, I think you'll find it superior.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
A_3

Post by A_3 »

LibreOffice odt file was 1mb and could not be placed on forum. Posted file is assembled from multiple PDF pages joined together in one PDF file.

@nemesis
All these ideas are good, maybe something can be placed on the FC website to be available for download with the program and tutorials.