Lock Bolt for a 1936 Ford Roadster Door Latch

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Karl1459

Lock Bolt for a 1936 Ford Roadster Door Latch

Post by Karl1459 »

We manufacture parts for antique Fords and needed a new source for lock bolts for door latches (an internal part of the latch). Previously we have had these sand cast/machined or machined. In an order to control costs we are attempting to have these investment cast and keep tooling in house. This obviously led us to FREECAD. After the steep learning curve of FREECAD and 3D Cad in general I was able to get a successful prototype.

The mold halves (and lock bolt) were virtulized in FREECAD, then an stl file to Shapeways, then molding the wax in house, then off to the foundry for the ceramic shell and casting in steel. The photo shows from left to right are the mold halves, the wax investment, and the steel casting. THANK YOU to the FREECAD team.
Attachments
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectScreen2.png
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectScreen2.png (93.74 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectScreen1.png
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectScreen1.png (98.13 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectLow.jpg
1936RoadsterLatchBoltProjectLow.jpg (171.84 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Lock Bolt for a 1936 Ford Roadster Door Latch

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post welcome to the FreeCAD forums.

Could you please post your FreeCAD version data in the manner explained in the Help Forum "forum rules" link? Mostly for future reference.

Great to see FreeCAD doing real and useful things!
Karl1459

Post by Karl1459 »

jmaustpc wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 am Your first post welcome to the FreeCAD forums.

Could you please post your FreeCAD version data in the manner explained in the Help Forum "forum rules" link? Mostly for future reference.

Great to see FreeCAD doing real and useful things!
Oops.

Freecad v.16
WinXP/Win10 (upgraded during project)

Thanks
Attachments
LatchBolt36R-Mold-Upper.FCStd
(605.44 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
LatchBolt36R-Mold-Lower.FCStd
(215.83 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
LatchBolt36R-Mold-Bolt.FCStd
(473.61 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Great to see this, thanks for sharing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

That is a really nice looking casting.
Karl1459 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm Shapeways, then molding the wax in house, then off to the foundry for the ceramic shell and casting in steel. The photo shows from left to right are the mold halves, the wax investment, and the steel casting. THANK YOU to the FREECAD team.
would you mind telling more about the 3D print to wax process? did you print the mold then cast the wax into a positive? how much treatment did you have to do on the 3d printed mold? how many wax prints do you think you could get from the mold? how did you come out on man-hours versus letting your previous supplier do the tooling?

Thank you sharing
Karl1459

Post by Karl1459 »

emills2 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 pm That is a really nice looking casting.

would you mind telling more about the 3D print to wax process? did you print the mold then cast the wax into a positive? how much treatment did you have to do on the 3d printed mold? how many wax prints do you think you could get from the mold? how did you come out on man-hours versus letting your previous supplier do the tooling?

Thank you sharing
As to cost, our prior methods were sand casting and machining, so not applicable. We were clearly not going to spend the money for a machined aluminum tool for wax injection, which is the preferred method at the foundry we are using, so they suggested we pour our own.

Our parts usage will likely be very low, in the 10-25 parts per year range so keeping tooling cost low is critical.

The ME factor is I have been making analog foundry patterns for years and truly enjoy it. So the step to 3D counts as fun time.

This was basically a test to see if I could learn to use 3D, if 3D printing from service agency was appropriate, and if I could make a viable wax out of a 3D mold. The answers were yes x3. The mold required no modifications and after several attempts I was able to pour successful waxes. Temperature of wax, release agent (heavy duty axle grease), and temperature of part when removed from the mold all turned out to be important variables. What I did is melt the wax in an open pot (NO OPEN FLAME!) and ladle pour into the mold, later I had the brilliant idea of using a 250 ml syringe (the wax shown was injected with the syringe, the casting was made from a ladle poured wax). The (nylon) mold shows no deterioration and as the wax is poured at 125-140 F, well below the melt temperature of the mold I expect a fairly long life of the mold.

While capable of making perfectly usable waxes there are issues with this mold, the draft is a little deep for easy release. The next version will have an ejector block to help remove the wax.
mangaliron

Post by mangaliron »

If you are having trouble with your door lock or need to find the correct one for your car, contact Phil Migliori in NY. This causes the mechanism to lock the out side door handle from rotating. The same is true of the 36 door latch mechanism.