Baseline Design For Essential Essence Distillation

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

Baseline Design For Essential Essence Distillation

Post by bill »

Here is one of my hobby projects. All stainless-steel fractioning still modelled with a mix of STEPs and FreeCAD components(upper right branch; sight glass, and Copper condensing coil). Missing some ancillary components (i.e., thermometer, seconday dephleg., valves, etc.).
bstill.png
bstill.png (83.27 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
emills2

Re: Baseline Design For Essential Essence Distillation

Post by emills2 »

nice details in the design. is the first section intended to be filled with raschig rings? I'd love to hear more about your temp/pressure control plan in the collection area. are you planning to purge whatever builds up until equilibrium or is there any provision for startup recirculation? i don't know if any of that matters for your application, but i hadn't thought about distillation in a while, and it brings back memories :)
bill

Post by bill »

emills2 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 pm filled with raschig rings?

Yes, ceramics will be used; circulation started via ambient-vent above condensing coil (bottom-right of pic)! Here is assembly thus far and my boiling pot modelled in FC.
Below, all stainless-steel (30 gal/114 liter), steam-jacketed (essentially a ban-marie) cooking vessel, tilt-wheel , for 30 dollar/Euro (recycling-yard pricing/what a deal)

Attached parrot (sweat-copper contruction) still under design/modeling/contruction; still to come! Grey spoke-attachment-collar modelled and produced using FreeCAD PATH WB.

still_Dome.jpg
still_Dome.jpg (717.23 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
30galboilpot.png
30galboilpot.png (54.62 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Hi Bill,
crazy project! :)
What are you destilling? Maybe you can compete here:
https://www.world-spirits.com/en/
emills2

Post by emills2 »

are you going to lift the lid assembly off the pot before or after tilting it? i don't have a good sense of scale. is it all 2" tubing and fitting?
bill

Post by bill »

emills2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 pm are you going to lift the lid assembly off the pot before or after tilting it?
Frac-Tower is very heavy and must be removed in sections before tilting kettle; Also kettle has a 2in/53mm Lower-Drain-Spigot not depicted yet!

thschrader wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:05 pm What are you destilling?
Chamomile and Lavender oils, Aqua Vi for making Limoncella, and general medicinal consumption/purposes!

emills2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 pm i don't have a good sense of scale. is it all 2" tubing and fitting?
That first riser-column is about 20in/500mm; all stainless-tubing is 2in/53mm.

Additional parts: Reflux control valve (top), heads disposal-valve (bottom), vent-out/inlet, final chiller, and parrot
parrot.png
parrot.png (13.85 KiB) Viewed 2013 times