Annotations for robotics workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
mathia

Annotations for robotics workbench

Postby mathia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi!

I am a researcher in robotics, and I needed a way to get the placements of many different features (e.g. holes or pegs) relative to a part's placement. So I made a workbench in FreeCAD for it.
https://github.com/mahaarbo/ARBench
It uses FreeCAD 0.16 and assumes that you've already made a STEP file of what you want, so that the shape of the assemblage won't change.
Essentially it just adds some frames, and ways of selecting where to place the frames based on the geometric primitive selected.
I also made a ROS node to publish the transformations. ROS is a robotic middleware used for control and communication in robot systems, so getting the location of the holes relative to the meshes makes my life a bit easier. The ros node will also be public soon.
Don't know if it's relevant to anyone, but perhaps it's of interest to someone.

-M
DeepSOIC

Re: Annotations for robotics workbench

Postby DeepSOIC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi!
My Lattice2 wb has something similar, apparently. In particular, Lattice Placement seems essentially what you call a frame.
mathia

Postby mathia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm
Hi!
My Lattice2 wb has something similar, apparently. In particular, Lattice Placement seems essentially what you call a frame.
I looked at Lattice2 in the beginning, but didn't quite understand how to use it for my purpose. I also wanted to export information such as: did I place the frame on the centerline of the cylinder, what's the radius of the circle it's on, where's the center of mass of the part it's attached to, etc. If I understood correctly Lattice2 is more for constructing parts?
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm

mathia wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 pm
If I understood correctly Lattice2 is more for constructing parts?
Well, yes. I wonder if our workbenches can cooperate...

Lattice Placement is also interesting as an assembly connection feature. Not quite possible at the moment, but maybe it can be made compatible with realthunder's Assembly3...
microelly2

Postby microelly2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:41 pm

you may have a look at the animation workbench
http://freecadbuch.de/doku.php?id=story ... ut_gelenke
in the video I describe how to create joints
phpBB [video]

from here to a 6 joint roboter is not to far.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm

fosselius" wrote:ping

@fosselius may be interested in this thread (Author of the URDF Workbench which is in progress)
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features