Disaster Drone Project

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Disaster Drone Project

Post by triplus »

Nice project.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Thanks for sharing.
Maybe something for the next Splash Screen?
Br Howil
imarin

Post by imarin »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 pm Thank you very much for giving insight into this impressive project!
You are welcome. Thanks to you for always helping around. I don't post a lot, but I look the forum regularly.
sgrogan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm chrisb wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm
Despite some other voices this is a powerful demonstration of the new Part Design Workbench's capabilities.

As this sub-forum shows sometimes it's the driver not the car
Well, I don't think this driver is that good. I believe Part Design Next is way much more powerful than v0.16, but not yet polished. I think the car has improved a lot, but it might still require some tuning. :)
sgrogan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 pm Do you plan a V2?
Great project and thanks for sharing!
The truth is that I went kamikaze into Drones. That was my first drone. I have never flown a drone before. I have never tuned the electronics, PIDs, firmware before. I did some calculations on weight/lift so that it would flight, but then, when it is not easy to control and you do not manage to tune the PIDs to the right values, you start to think if it is you or the drone.

My second approach has been to buy a commercial frame and just mount everything into this other commercial frame. I have done that and it flights better, but it is not well tuned yet. I have to learn to tune this things first. Then I will surely switch back to this 3D printed drone to see how it works when I can tune it. In any case, the driver (of the Drone), so me, has only flown with simulation software other than the trials of these two drones. So this driver is probably also a big part of the problem.
ppemawm wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 am This is a nicely done project with excellent presentation. It shows how complex assemblies can be done in V0.17.
And I am flattered because you are the big master of complex assemblies. I am a fan of your work.
ppemawm wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 am I am just now migrating to V0.17 and completing my first assembly started in V0.16. As a comparison to your method, I use Part containers as subassemblies with each component in separate Bodies all contained in a single file. No clones are used unless duplicates are required. That way it is easy to hide major pieces of the assembly while working, and it is quite simple to 'explode' the overall assembly when complete by just changing the Part placement. Each body is created with the PartDesign workbench in its proper location in 3D space starting with a master sketch linked to datums and shapebinders of mating faces, usually in the same order as you might assemble it on the bench.
I appreciate the easiness associated to limiting the number of clones, specially when rotating your designs placement helps with the design (because you have other objects already as reference, it is exactly what you say in your last sentence). It still should not be a problem to explode the clones at the end of the assembly. Each clone has his own placement.

I think that the use case when the assembly will be there will be closer to the clones workflow. However, I agree that today your workflow makes much more sense.
saso wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:34 am Just imagine what they could do with a proper "car" :roll:

But for real, projects like this are actually what I worry most about, people obviously put a lot of time and effort in to it and it is questionable how compatible this models will be in the future :|
I really love this car 8-)

I have designed for almost 2 years with the development branch. It has happened sometimes that things change, or you start getting those "links out of scope" and it requires adapting the design. However, I never found too dramatic to adapt designs within v0.17.
plgarcia wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 am @imarin
What happens to your project after recompute.
Select the document in the tree View,
Right click -> Mark to recompute
And then F5.
Do not save!
It is just fine. The color of the bodies remain. For me having different colors has become a reason to do separate bodies, even when it fulfills the "continuous solid" paradigm.
triplus wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 amNice project.
Thanks!
HoWil wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 am Thanks for sharing.
Maybe something for the next Splash Screen?
I would be honored.

But, probably there are better candidates. Like ppemawm's work... ;)