Simulated Weld

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bill

Re: Simulated Weld

Post by bill »

REAL Aluminum TIG-WELD!

Sent welder the jpg; Final product delivered! Looks OK!
LeftPerspect.jpg
LeftPerspect.jpg (753.28 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
LeftEnd.jpg
LeftEnd.jpg (801.11 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

silopolis wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 pm How would that work for "external" edge welds?
Feeling like spheres have the advantage of working in all flat, interior and exterior cases, aren't they?

But thinking about penetration too sweeping a circle, partly dipped in welded parts, could be another approximation option... WDYT?
In the commercial CAD software I use at work, in those cases I have to build a weld manually with a sweep. (Honestly, the set of commands to create welds sucks)

The spheres going through the solid to mimic penetration may seem like a good idea; the problem is, it creates problems when you create blueprints. The edges between parts are masked by the "welds", which don't show edges at their intersection with the underlying part. So you have bunch of edges missing in the drawing. There's an option to calculate all intersections in views, but it slows down drawing generation a lot.

Here's a quick test with TechDraw:
FC017_spheres_simulated_weld_01.png
FC017_spheres_simulated_weld_01.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
Third Angle projection.
Third Angle projection.
FC017_TechDraw_simulated_weld_01.png (24.68 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
Attachments
FC017_Simulated_Weld_normandc1.fcstd
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
bill

Post by bill »

NormandC wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm problem is, it creates problems when you create blueprints.
No doubt about that; this is only intended for rendering/realism as far as I can see. No intention of weld-specification only weld-location.
Note the title "Simulated Weld".

Last time I saw welds spec.d in drawings was in an antique 2D-CAD product called CADDS from a company called COMPUTERVISION (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computervision ) and these contained specification for pre-heat, type of weld-rod, penetration, inspection-criteria, x-ray verification, weld passes, weld architecture (for instance: five passes over three passes over lowest pass), chamfer/bevels spec.s etc, etc., etc. Ive seen plenty of fine-looking welds completely removed by grinder. This is a serious chore when the weld is 30 to 40mm deep.

A fabrication shop where I worked part-time a very long time ago employed SET-UP guys. Thats what I did. Read prints, burn shapes out of steel/alum/alloys, cut-up stock, drill holes, bevel edges, and tack into place. Then the "Welders" would burn-stick (as they called it) for the next several days following someone elses instruction.

But these renderings make it easy for picturing a completed part; especially when the welder can barely read a print and requires a single pass!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bill wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:52 pm But these renderings make it easy for picturing a completed part; especially when the welder can barely read a print and requires a single pass!
I agree. At the company I currently work with, we add welds to our CAD assemblies (sometimes it can be a PITA). The main drawing page shows ortho views of the assembly without welds. A secondary page shows the assembly in various isometric and detail shaded views with the welds. Welds have a different, dark color so they contrast with the rest of the view. These iso views have weld annotations.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

On the crazy exact wellding FreeCAD part should not be there a gap off 0.1 mm where the parts touch? Then on a FEM the welding only will be used to transfer loads from one part to the other?
bill

Post by bill »

bernd wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 am ...welding only will be used to transfer loads...
In the pic below the two "compression ears" were clamped before drill/tap/welding. This was done to provide a capillary pocket to maintain thread lubricant to the tapped/threaded hole, where a stainless-compression-bolt passes through an aluminum fixture operating in a semi-corrosive, saline environment.

All to mitigate electrolysis/corrosion.
CapillaryActionLubricant.png
CapillaryActionLubricant.png (72.24 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Stress-wise, one ear would have been sufficient!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

marcin_ose wrote:ping
OSE may be interested in this.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cinthia lizeth

Post by cinthia lizeth »

ppemawm wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:53 pm
bill wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:59 pm Be nice to have a feature to put line of adjacent spheres(size defined,spacing defined) on any line, arc, or spline selected!
This can be done in V0.17 using PartDesign>AdditiveSphere and suitable datum lines for path direction and linear or polar pattern transformations as shown in this simple example:

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Hi, I see that the circles refer to the welding, you could share the code or macro of those circles that do the welding function in the pieces.
cinthia lizeth

Post by cinthia lizeth »

bill wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:59 pm Look how good my welding skill have become! :lol:
Is there already an easier way to sim a weld in FC?
Be nice to have a feature to put line of adjacent spheres(size defined,spacing defined) on any line, arc, or spline selected!
This way is quite laborius but effective for price quoting by fab-shop.
myweldingskill.png
Hi, I see that the circles refer to the welding, you could share the code or macro of those circles that do the welding function in the pieces.
cinthia lizeth

Post by cinthia lizeth »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm It's a monster, maybe good for the next Marvel movie ... :lol:

BOPCheck, I know, that's the same like fillets on faces with draft angle.
schweissnaht.fcstd

BOPCheck, filesize, it doesn't matter, but it looks cool.
coole_schweissnaht_rest_egal.png
Last edited by cinthia lizeth on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.