TurboProp Engine--V0.13/V0.17

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ppemawm
Veteran

TurboProp Engine--V0.13/V0.17

Post by ppemawm »

I started this project several years ago in V0.13.1828 https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5721 but did not have the plans for the turboprop. After recently finding the plans on the internet I decided to complete the engine with the PartDesign workbench, V0.17.13375. (The plans are by Terry Lee from a 2002 design by Mike Murphy of Wren Turbines Ltd.)

The following screenshots with a few comments show some of the detail of the complete engine model:

The engine assembly consists of a radial compressor, vaned diffuser, combustor, turbine, interstage guide vanes, power turbine, speed-reducing gearbox, fuel/lubrication system, and a propeller.  The left half of the assembly is the turbo-compressor and right half, the turbo-prop.<br /><br />All of the V0.13 turbo-compressor components were imported to the V0.17 file using copy/paste (CTRL C/CTRL V).  For some reason, some of the components imported in their proper location but without any placement property. This may be a bug or something I did incorrectly in V0.13.<br />-
The engine assembly consists of a radial compressor, vaned diffuser, combustor, turbine, interstage guide vanes, power turbine, speed-reducing gearbox, fuel/lubrication system, and a propeller. The left half of the assembly is the turbo-compressor and right half, the turbo-prop.

All of the V0.13 turbo-compressor components were imported to the V0.17 file using copy/paste (CTRL C/CTRL V). For some reason, some of the components imported in their proper location but without any placement property. This may be a bug or something I did incorrectly in V0.13.
-
Picture1_Top&Side-View.jpg (161.55 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
The engine is organized as a series of Part sub-assemblies in the model tree which makes it quite handy to isolate sub-systems when modelling by toggling visibility.<br /><br />All new bodies were created using the global axes and planes rather than feature faces as I had done in V0.13.  Since many of the bodies are axisymmetric no datum planes were necessary.  As a result the model is much more stable with any changes to correct errors.<br /><br />The exception was the lubrication tubing for which I used the tubing faces to locate pads and to create revolves for any bends.  (Just don't screw-up or you are back to square one!)  Although, this approach is quite tolerant to changes in the tubing configuration as it is being routed around components.<br /><br />The exhaust ducting sheet metal was a bit tedious to create using Pads and Revolves.<br /><br />The propeller was created from a series of PartDesign&gt;AdditiveLofts using cross-section airfoils of a model airplane propellor design found on the internet.<br />-
The engine is organized as a series of Part sub-assemblies in the model tree which makes it quite handy to isolate sub-systems when modelling by toggling visibility.

All new bodies were created using the global axes and planes rather than feature faces as I had done in V0.13. Since many of the bodies are axisymmetric no datum planes were necessary. As a result the model is much more stable with any changes to correct errors.

The exception was the lubrication tubing for which I used the tubing faces to locate pads and to create revolves for any bends. (Just don't screw-up or you are back to square one!) Although, this approach is quite tolerant to changes in the tubing configuration as it is being routed around components.

The exhaust ducting sheet metal was a bit tedious to create using Pads and Revolves.

The propeller was created from a series of PartDesign>AdditiveLofts using cross-section airfoils of a model airplane propellor design found on the internet.
-
Picture2_Front&Side-View.jpg (194.87 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
Some of the detail of the internal components are exposed through the transparent housings in this screenshot.  I remember struggling with the complexity of the combustor in V013.  It would be much easier now with V0.17.<br /><br />Note the detail of the main housings containing the diffuser, guide vanes, and turbine nozzles.  These were created with Part&gt;lofts (V0.13) and PartDesign&gt;AdditiveLofts and PolarPatterns (V0.17).  The same process was used with the turbine wheels.<br /><br />All fasteners are included.  Fortunately the design is metric so I was able to use the Screw_Maker_2.0 macro, however, it does not function properly in V0.17.  I created them in a V0.16 and copy/pasted them into the V0.17 file with out any problems.  The bolt patterns were created with Part/Polar Arrays.<br />-
Some of the detail of the internal components are exposed through the transparent housings in this screenshot. I remember struggling with the complexity of the combustor in V013. It would be much easier now with V0.17.

Note the detail of the main housings containing the diffuser, guide vanes, and turbine nozzles. These were created with Part>lofts (V0.13) and PartDesign>AdditiveLofts and PolarPatterns (V0.17). The same process was used with the turbine wheels.

All fasteners are included. Fortunately the design is metric so I was able to use the Screw_Maker_2.0 macro, however, it does not function properly in V0.17. I created them in a V0.16 and copy/pasted them into the V0.17 file with out any problems. The bolt patterns were created with Part/Polar Arrays.
-
Picture3_Front-View,Internals.jpg (231.3 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
The rotor on the left is the turbo-compressor and on the right is the power turbine and gearbox.  Ball bearing assemblies are shown in red.  Note the preload spring on the turbocompressor bearings to prevent ball skidding on startup.  The power turbine and gearbox use wave springs (imported from McMaster-Carr) for preload.  A tolerance ring on the inboard bearing of the power turbine accounts for any misalignment.<br /><br />The gears were created from the Gear&gt;InvoluteGear workbench and modified in PartDesign bodies using BaseFeature links.  They are 15 deg helicals.<br />-
The rotor on the left is the turbo-compressor and on the right is the power turbine and gearbox. Ball bearing assemblies are shown in red. Note the preload spring on the turbocompressor bearings to prevent ball skidding on startup. The power turbine and gearbox use wave springs (imported from McMaster-Carr) for preload. A tolerance ring on the inboard bearing of the power turbine accounts for any misalignment.

The gears were created from the Gear>InvoluteGear workbench and modified in PartDesign bodies using BaseFeature links. They are 15 deg helicals.
-
Picture4_Rotor-Turbo-Compressor,Power-Turbine,Gearbox.jpg (171.03 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
All of the tubing for the lubrication system was created using PartDesign&gt;Pads and Revolves with datum lines as axes.  I was able to use faces rather than sketches in V0.17.  Quick &amp; easy!<br /><br />The lubrication fluid  is a combination of jet fuel and turbine oil with the exception of the dry sump gearbox which uses only oil.  This simplifies the system since the turbine bearing lube can be dumped and burned off in the turbine exhaust.<br />-
All of the tubing for the lubrication system was created using PartDesign>Pads and Revolves with datum lines as axes. I was able to use faces rather than sketches in V0.17. Quick & easy!

The lubrication fluid is a combination of jet fuel and turbine oil with the exception of the dry sump gearbox which uses only oil. This simplifies the system since the turbine bearing lube can be dumped and burned off in the turbine exhaust.
-
Picture5_Lubrication-System&Schematic.jpg (212.19 KiB) Viewed 7183 times

It was most interesting to me to see how far FreeCAD has advanced since V0.13. Several of the components that I struggled with or could not do at all in V0.13 (somewhat due to inexperience probably) were easily completed in V0.17. Such great progress!

The turboprop section required 181 sketches and 58 bodies. File is 28.8 Mb and got a bit slow during modelling toward the end unless most of the parts were made nonvisible.

I cannot attach the file due to size and obvious copyright restrictions. With a little searching you can find several YouTube videos of these minature engines in operation.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13375 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2bfea410fce1434fec0f853b032549aa2cd3c47e
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: TurboProp Engine--V0.13/V0.17

Post by chrisb »

Thanks (again) for sharing one of your gorgeous models. I wondered why they didn't use only two gears with an appropriate ratio, but I guess it is due to aerodynamic reasons to have it all aligned?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Booaaaahh... :o
Your design can easy compete with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTqWYCza-vE
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:28 pm I wondered why they didn't use only two gears
I am sure it is to keep the diameter minimum as you suggest for aerodynamic reasons.
thschrader wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:32 pm Your design can easy compete with this
Thanks, but I suppose I'll have to learn how to make classy videos first... ;)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:28 pm I wondered why they didn't use only two gears
ppemawm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm I am sure it is to keep the diameter minimum as you suggest for aerodynamic reasons.
I don't think aerodynamics i expect that weight is more important!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

your models are just amazing ... I wonder if you reused the data from V0.13.1828 or did you remodel anything from that ancient FreeCAD time?

bernd
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

bernd wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:06 pm I wonder if you reused the data from V0.13.1828
Thanks for your comments.

I reused all of the components modeled in V0.13 by copy/paste of the last feature of each into the V0.17 file. However, I did modify several of the components in V0.17 PartDesign to correct a few errors and to add some missing detail. The only problem I had with the V0.13 data was that several of the components imported without their placement properties but fortunately at their proper location.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

ppemawm wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:19 pm I started this project several years ago in V0.13.1828 https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5721 but did not have the plans for the turboprop. After recently finding the plans on the internet I decided to complete the engine with the PartDesign workbench, V0.17.13375. (The plans are by Terry Lee from a 2002 design by Mike Murphy of Wren Turbines Ltd.)

The following screenshots with a few comments show some of the detail of the complete engine model:

Picture1_Top&amp;Side-View.jpg

Picture2_Front&amp;Side-View.jpg

Picture3_Front-View,Internals.jpg

Picture4_Rotor-Turbo-Compressor,Power-Turbine,Gearbox.jpg

Picture5_Lubrication-System&amp;Schematic.jpg

It was most interesting to me to see how far FreeCAD has advanced since V0.13. Several of the components that I struggled with or could not do at all in V0.13 (somewhat due to inexperience probably) were easily completed in V0.17. Such great progress!

The turboprop section required 181 sketches and 58 bodies. File is 28.8 Mb and got a bit slow during modelling toward the end unless most of the parts were made nonvisible.

I cannot attach the file due to size and obvious copyright restrictions. With a little searching you can find several YouTube videos of these minature engines in operation.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13375 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2bfea410fce1434fec0f853b032549aa2cd3c47e
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Very nice to see this great work in Freecad. In the old thread I could read that it takes about 13 minutes to open the file. Now we have OCC7.2.0 and Freecad 0.17 Roland and maybe faster hardware. Please can you upload your Freecad file again on Dropbox. That would be very nice.
I would like to see it on different computer and Laptop to check how fast it can be opened today.
And it's faszinating to see such a great cad model on my computer.

Thank you so much and take care, best regards
Wilfried
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice!
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm Very nice to see this great work in Freecad.
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm In the old thread I could read that it takes about 13 minutes to open the file. Now we have OCC7.2.0 and Freecad 0.17 Roland and maybe faster hardware.
Thanks for your kind comments.

The V0.13 file takes about a minute to open in V0.16 on my computer vs about 4 minutes on V0.13 with an older I5 computer. The new V0.17 file takes a little less than 2 minutes. Good improvement in hardware and software I would say.
My specs.:
Intel I7-4710HQ CPU@2.50 Ghz
16.0 GB RAM
64 bit Windows 10