First Model In FreeCAD Raspberry PI Zero with 2 Phats with heights that can be Modified

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mark1791

First Model In FreeCAD Raspberry PI Zero with 2 Phats with heights that can be Modified

Post by mark1791 »

Hi All

May be of use to someone out there, been learning FreeCAD as a side project, work with CAD for the last 30years CADDS4/5,CATIAV4/V5 like that it is similar to V5 which i use at work.

Its a parameterised model of the Raspberry Pi Zero with two stacking Phats that the heights can adjusted in the Parameters, by modfiying the Pad Heights of the Headers.

Reason for the choice, I have a Project with two Phats and want to make a Case for them.
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-V1-1_3-FreeCad_0_17_V9.jpg
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-V1-1_3-FreeCad_0_17_V9.jpg (147.81 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
Attachments
PiZeroPCB-V1-1_3-Ver009-030818.FCStd
Raspberry Pi Zero Version 1-1.3
(369.23 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: First Model In FreeCAD Raspberry PI Zero with 2 Phats with heights that can be Modified

Post by NormandC »

Welcome here Mark,

And thanks for sharing!

I'm curious about your choice of Image Std Groups to sort your Bodies. Is there a specific reason you used Groups rather than Image Std Part containers?

A small note, the USB1 BaseFeature underneath Raspberry Pi Zero 1-1.3/USB-Group/USB002/CloneBody lost its link. If you don't know how to repair it: select USB1 in the Model tree, and in the Data tab, click on the blank field besides the Base Feature property, this will reveal a [...] button to the right; click on it to open a pop up window to select the linked shape (the USB body I assume).
mark1791

Re: First Model In FreeCAD Raspberry PI Zero with 2 Phats with heights that can be Modified

Post by mark1791 »

Hi NormandC

Well just followed the Part Design Tutorial at first to get my head around FreeCAD's way of doing things, doesn't mention about the Std Part Containers. I am so used to using V5, so after reading about the the Part Container does seem to make sense and more like V5..

As to using groups seemed the most intuitive thing to do to group things, it would be useful in V5 ironically as tends to create many Body's and no way to group.., Surfaces have sets but Body's don't have anything. We tend to use V5R21 as i work in China for a large OEM, most suppliers here use UG, and all software outside of true OEM status is 'Copy'.. as to why V5R21 not later versions down to how easy it is for the locals to crack it....

Didn't know the USB002 clone body lost it's link, i see that it is a part rather than a Body under the group, just had a look, seems to work ok here..., i did have a few problems when playing around with cloning and groups, as orginally created two USB's by copying the body and sketch and translating the required amount, then found clone and played around with it, a bit quirky. in the end this is where i ended up.... I hsve Done what you said and it works, but not intuitive from a noob point of view...... i did wonder what the red bits on the icon was....

thanks for your feedback btw :D

Really liking FreeCAD, seems the closest to the real world for Engineering Design :)

Mark
mark1791

Post by mark1791 »

Hi All

Just an update to the project i have been working on, using it to improve my skill at FreeCad, attached is the model if anyone is interested.

The project is to make a portable Temperature/Humidity/Air Quality Monitoring system using a Raspberry ZeroW, off the shelf components from AdaFruit and Pimoroni, BME680 to monitor the environment and a PioLED Display to give visual feedback of the values. The other component is a Pimoroni HatHacker to offset the BME Sensor so it can all work together, still to do is to add a on off button at some point for a safe shutown. Idea is to plug it in at work and monitor the temperature and air quality or anywhere easily.

All components was modeled up using FreeCAD PartDesign and a 150mm rule to measure the components with... The case i have modeled with 0.1mm clearances so can print it on a 3D printer(not yet purchased). No idea how well the case will print, or if it will fit together, not 3D printed anything in 20years....

Enjoy, Mark
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Temperature-Monitor-Project-V004.jpg
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Temperature-Monitor-Project-V004.jpg (170.9 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
Attachments
PiZeroPCB-Temperature-Monitor-Project-V004.FCStd
(1000.73 KiB) Downloaded 372 times