controling shear punching of Foundation

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ebrahim raeyat

controling shear punching of Foundation

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Hello every one. I am writing civil workbench and it include two software that one of them may be useful for civil engineering.
in my country (IRAN) civil engineers use CSI SAFE program for analysis and design of foundations. it has flaw in calculating shear punching.
It flaw on some condition:
1- location of column: column are corner, Edge and Interier.
2- punch perimeter: line that intersect with foundation with offset of columns with d/2 (d is depth of foundation)

I wrote a program that read excel export of SAFE and bring it to FreeCAD and until now calculate punching area, location of column and etc:
this is foundation model in safe:
safe2.jpg
safe2.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
location of column's law in safe:
location.png
location.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
safe1.png
safe1.png (62.55 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
this green selected faces are punching faces:
safe2.png
safe2.png (32.23 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
thschrader
Veteran

Re: controling shear punching of Foundation

Post by thschrader »

Interesting project.
How will you simulate the soil under the foundation?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is cool! Referencing this in the Civil Engineering discussion thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=470
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

wow very interesting. I did similar stuff years ago ...

Would it be possible to calculate the shear punching of a single foundation like the one in the picture. Assume the attached geometry and concrete C30/37 ?

shear-punching-single-foundation.fcstd
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

Screenshot_20181025_204832.png
Screenshot_20181025_204832.png (114.18 KiB) Viewed 8032 times
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:57 am Hello every one. I am writing civil workbench and it include two software that one of them may be useful for civil engineering.
This is really great! It's cool to see this sort of functionality added to FreeCAD that is immediately useful.

I'm trying to manage the transportation (highway / rail) side of civil engineering, so we're on unrelated paths, but I'd encourage you to continue developing what you're doing - anything you can provide that makes FreeCAD useful in other domains is a win!
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

thschrader wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm Interesting project.
How will you simulate the soil under the foundation?
I don't intend to analyse foundation. what i want is that i read geometry of foundation, loading on columns, concrete fc, cover of foundation and etc and claculating shear punching ratio. if i want to include stress under the foundation (that reduce the ratio) i read it from safe output.
thanks for your hint.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

yorik wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:20 pm This is cool! Referencing this in the Civil Engineering discussion thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=470
thank you yorik. after that, I want to write Gui environment for opensees like GidOpenSees
that using opensees and Gid . it's writen with VB! and I want to write it with FreeCAD and Python. I think it take 3-4 years time for developing. I'd be happy to guide me on this. very thanks.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

bernd wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:50 pm Would it be possible to calculate the shear punching of a single foundation like the one in the picture. Assume the attached geometry and concrete C30/37 ?
Thanks. yes. I will load the source code to github soon and then you can calculate that. but until now I can obtain punching area and column locations and moment of inersias I22 and I33 that present on picture. The work that remain is reading load (include axial and bending moment) and then combinate them with ACI load combination and then calculate shear punching!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 am I will load the source code to github soon and then you can calculate that. but until now I can obtain punching area and column locations and moment of inersias I22 and I33 that present on picture. The work that remain is reading load (include axial and bending moment) and then combinate them with ACI load combination and then calculate shear punching!
cool

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:57 am I want to write Gui environment for opensees like GidOpenSees
that using opensees and Gid . it's writen with VB! and I want to write it with FreeCAD and Python. I think it take 3-4 years time for developing. I'd be happy to guide me on this. very thanks.
3-4 years is a good estimation for such a project. There is something very very cool in this regart already. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31262 i have started to contribute to that project too. I would like to connect FreeCAD with this software somehow, but not inside FreeCAD FEM. I should be more simple, more geometry driven like FEM workbench. ATM I play with IFC structural analysis view. Means transfer an architectural FreeCAD model with the structural axises into an analysis modell, and generate input for XC. But it will take some time until there will be something to test with.

cheers bernd
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

Joel_graff wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:33 pm This is really great! It's cool to see this sort of functionality added to FreeCAD that is immediately useful.
I'm trying to manage the transportation (highway / rail) side of civil engineering, so we're on unrelated paths, but I'd encourage you to continue developing what you're doing - anything you can provide that makes FreeCAD useful in other domains is a win!
thanks for your good attention.