School Project: Bug Zapper

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Liu768382

School Project: Bug Zapper

Post by Liu768382 »

Hi everyone. I am a student attending Singapore American School attending a class called Catalyst. In this class, we are given the opportunity to pursue a passion and create a project that we have a personal interest in. My project is a CAD design of a Bug Zapper, which I tried to design with the thought of having a product that is aesthetically pleasing and safe.
Features of this Bug Zapper
Safety Features

The two main safety concern of every bug zapper is on hygiene/disease and the dangers of electrocution. Features that concern this includes:

-There is an un-electrified fence right in front of the electrified one, do not put your finger through the un-electrified fence while the device is on. Do not come in contact with the electrified fence when the device is on.

-The electrified fence is covered on all sides except the opening, this will minimise scattering as the bug parts will be contained within the vessel.

-The bottom flap of the opening is recommended to be held at an able above 60 degrees on the horizontal plane. This would help block scattering while also remain open for bugs to enter the device. The flap is made short enough to not invite a multitude of bugs to set up camp.

-The bottom is removable to aid in the cleansing of the device. Only remove the bottom when the device is turned off. It is recommended that you clean out the device frequently. Wipe down and disinfect every surface inside and out. Remove the bottom, empty it out then clean and disinfect. Clean the area around the bug zapper and remove all bug corpses. This should maintain the hygiene and reduce the risk of disease being transmitted.

Disclaimer: The FDA recommends all bug zappers to be placed away from kitchens and areas where food is prepared. This bug zapper, although designed to minimise the scatter of bug parts and disease, is not rated as scatter-proof. Place in an area away from food.

Design Features

What sets my bug zapper apart from others on the market is my focus on the aesthetics. Bug zappers are rarely used in homes as they can be quite an eyesore. Design features include:

-A round, inconspicuous design that is designed to not draw the eye’s attention. The soft edges and compact design would surely melt into any background.

-A dip in the side of the front flaps allows for inconspicuous access to the flaps. Say goodbye to ugly handles sticking out and hello to a nice, smooth dip that doesn’t catch the eye.

-The device would be complete if it was covered in a carpet like fabric in any color of one’s desire. Carpet like material is shown to be inconspicuous and would help this device blend into a corner or the edge of a room.

Designing this project, however was the hardest part. I have never designed anything with any CAD program. I used the parts workbench for this product, with every part created with just basic shapes and the bolean functions (hopefully that's what they are called) :D . This is a really simple design, but I feel like it is a good first attempt at design. Thank you for taking some time to look through what I have to say. :D

I made this with the following FreeCAD version
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/HongKong (en_HK)