Landscape and urbanism project - Park master plan

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Landscape and urbanism project - Park master plan

Post by paullee »

ABeton wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:11 am I attached the terrain and sidewalks bellow, I barely managed to get it under 1mb :P The terrain is nothing special really, just a couple of booleans.
Great! Would like to have a look. Attachment is missing though :)

ABeton wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:11 am
I am trying to do some code in ArchWall and SketchFeaturePython attempting to allow user basically to 'draw' the floor plan in sketch.
Awesome, that would be a great feature to have :D Did you manage to get a prototype running, I would love to check it out.
A few earlier posts to demonstrate:-
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39095
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39060
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38703
ABeton wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:11 am Yes I am interested in programming and I was thinking of learning to code so I could work on the Arch and Draft workbenches. Was it difficult for you to get to a point where you could contribute with code to the workbenches?
I just check my pull requests in Github and find my 1st PR is around last Aug - after reading online some python tutorial to understand a few lines in Arch WB. With some basic knowledge about Python flow control, I mostly work on geometrical aspect so it is just enough for me atm.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... s%3Aclosed
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1592

Hope you enjoy coding for FC soon ! :D
pl7i92LCNC

Post by pl7i92LCNC »

woudent that be a better projekt for BLENDER 3D
look at the projekt others made with
https://www.google.de/search?biw=1544&b ... e+lighting
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Great! Would like to have a look. Attachment is missing though
Embarrassing :D You should find it bellow.
Awesome! So if I understand well you plan to use sketches for walls, and then the user can set properties for each wall individualy(with, height, alignment)? It would be great if we would have a graphical way of changing these options. For example when I select a wall, nodes pop out which allow me to change some of the wall properties. But I know this is easier said than done.
I just check my pull requests in Github and find my 1st PR is around last Aug - after reading online some python tutorial to understand a few lines in Arch WB. With some basic knowledge about Python flow control, I mostly work on geometrical aspect so it is just enough for me atm.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... s%3Aclosed
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1592

Hope you enjoy coding for FC soon !
Wow that is some fast progress :D I am interested in improving the 2D output of FreeCAD, with focus on architecture. Some of the things that I would like to work on are:
- explore and try to make a better hatching system for architecture
- work on Draft Dimensions(they already work great, but I would like to add more functionality) more arrow symbols, and also custom arrow symbols, I do not know If you tried Archicad, but I would like to make dimensions in FreeCAD work in a similar way
- 3D and 2D view of the drawing, again similar to Archicad(I am not sure this is necessary in FreeCAD, but I would like to experiment with this)

So I hope I will start coding soon, and maybe we could discuss more about the ideas in regards to architecture in FreeCAD(if that is your field of interest). Perhaps we could create a new thread for this, or if there is a similar thread existing, I would like to check it out.

Good luck with your project, looking forward to seeing the final version :)
woudent that be a better projekt for BLENDER 3D
look at the projekt others made with
https://www.google.de/search?biw=1544&b ... e+lighting
It probably would, Blender is really powerful and I used it a lot before, but I wanted to see what FreeCAD has to offer when it comes to visualization. And honestly I got tired of trying to achieve a perfect lighting or shader :D
Attachments
sidewalk.FCStd
(638.23 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: Landscape and urbanism project - Park master plan [Re-Post, previous one missing]

Post by paullee »

Interesting way of using sketch for modeling sidewalk :)
ABeton wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 pm
Awesome! So if I understand well you plan to use sketches for walls, and then the user can set properties for each wall individualy(with, height, alignment)? It would be great if we would have a graphical way of changing these options. For example when I select a wall, nodes pop out which allow me to change some of the wall properties. But I know this is easier said than done.
Currently target to have width and alignment ... hmmm probably height is an good idea :)

ABeton wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 pm Wow that is some fast progress :D I am interested in improving the 2D output of FreeCAD, with focus on architecture. Some of the things that I would like to work on are:
- explore and try to make a better hatching system for architecture
- work on Draft Dimensions(they already work great, but I would like to add more functionality) more arrow symbols, and also custom arrow symbols, I do not know If you tried Archicad, but I would like to make dimensions in FreeCAD work in a similar way
- 3D and 2D view of the drawing, again similar to Archicad(I am not sure this is necessary in FreeCAD, but I would like to experiment with this)

So I hope I will start coding soon, and maybe we could discuss more about the ideas in regards to architecture in FreeCAD(if that is your field of interest). Perhaps we could create a new thread for this, or if there is a similar thread existing, I would like to check it out.
Good, remember some members other than @Yorik are working on 2D objects, maybe pinging them to see if any collaboration is possible.
And yes, probably you may post at their discussion thread or start some new ones.
Moult wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:26 am
carlopav wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:33 pm
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

@paullee, thanks for pinning
ABeton wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 pm For example when I select a wall, nodes pop out which allow me to change some of the wall properties.
You can try Draft Edit command: it's still rough, but it allows you to edit the base object and the height of the wall through editing nodes.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Good, remember some members other than @Yorik are working on 2D objects, maybe pinging them to see if any collaboration is possible.
And yes, probably you may post at their discussion thread or start some new ones.
It is good to see more people working on Draft. I will check out their posts.
You can try Draft Edit command: it's still rough, but it allows you to edit the base object and the height of the wall through editing nodes.
If you mean the Edit Improved command, I tried to use it several times, but it does not work for me. I can see the nodes but I can not move them for some reason. The old Edit command works just fine.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

ABeton wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 pm ...
If you mean the Edit Improved command, I tried to use it several times, but it does not work for me. I can see the nodes but I can not move them for some reason. The old Edit command works just fine.
This is actually pretty confusing. At the beginning of this 2019, Moult wrote the "Draft Edit Improved" command, but the implementation is actually not really finished. So the name is actually misleading. Maybe it should be called "Draft Edit2".

On the other hand, Carlopav modified the original "Draft Edit" command. So this one is the "improved" one, but has the original name.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

ABeton wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 pm If you mean the Edit Improved command, I tried to use it several times, but it does not work for me. I can see the nodes but I can not move them for some reason. The old Edit command works just fine.
No, I meant the old one, I'm still improving it! Draft edit improved has a different concept, you have to use draft transform modifiers (move rotate etc) on selected nodes with modify subelements option checked.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

This is actually pretty confusing. At the beginning of this 2019, Moult wrote the "Draft Edit Improved" command, but the implementation is actually not really finished. So the name is actually misleading. Maybe it should be called "Draft Edit2".

On the other hand, Carlopav modified the original "Draft Edit" command. So this one is the "improved" one, but has the original name.
No, I meant the old one, I'm still improving it! Draft edit improved has a different concept, you have to use draft transform modifiers (move rotate etc) on selected nodes with modify subelements option checked.
Oh ok, so the old Edit is improved and the new Edit works in a different way. It would useful if there was a more detailed description on how to use the "Draft Edit Improved", and with some indication that you need to have the modify subelements turned on. And it could use some rebranding as vocx said. Maybe some name that is completely different from the word "Edit", so that the users do not get confused. Maybe this command could be called "Modify Subelements" as well.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Glad to see more discussion and hopefully more synergy in improving Draft Arch BIM wb :)

Probably there needs someone to coordinate all available efforts here, @Yorik again ? :D