Radio controlled airplane

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
montagdude

Re: Radio controlled airplane

Post by montagdude »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:52 pm Is this small battery pack at the left front all what it needs to fly it?
Yes, it's a 2-cell 500 mah lithium polymer battery. That will fly it for about 8-10 minutes. I could use a bigger battery for longer flight time, but of course that adds weight, so I prefer to just fly multiple smaller packs.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

Here is a video of my first "first-person view" flight with this plane, meaning I was flying with goggles on that showed the video feed from the plane in real time. It was the second flight overall. It is nice and slow and relaxing as intended. Just as a note: the actual video quality is better than it looks on YouTube. YouTube really makes it look mushy.
phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Great! I just had breakfast, which enforces the experience in the stomach area.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
arturromarr

Post by arturromarr »

A beautiful design. Congratulations on successful implementation.
Maybe you put the FreeCAD logo on the wings.
(automatic translation)
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

arturromarr wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm A beautiful design. Congratulations on successful implementation.
Maybe you put the FreeCAD logo on the wings.
(automatic translation)
Hey, I like that idea. Maybe I will.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

I flew over the park today and got up close with some vultures.
phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Must be great to have the goggles on. Does it have impact on your equilibrium when you are standing?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
montagdude

Post by montagdude »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:39 pm Must be great to have the goggles on. Does it have impact on your equilibrium when you are standing?
It doesn't bother me too much, but everybody is different. My wife can't even watch the videos on the computer without feeling dizzy. The most disconcerting thing for me when I first started doing it was actually the sound. I don't have any audio transmitted down, so I just hear the normal sounds that anyone would hear standing on the ground. It can be confusing when the plane flies nearby and what you hear doesn't match up with what you are seeing.