W.Allchin steam traction engine

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

W.Allchin steam traction engine

Post by un1corn »

This is probably the most complex project I have done to date, It took almost as long to assemble the parts as it did to create them.
The file is far too large to include here regrettably.
Attachments
ATE 7.JPG
ATE 7.JPG (436.26 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
ATE 2.JPG
ATE 2.JPG (573 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
ATE 1.JPG
ATE 1.JPG (688.5 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
un1corn

Re: W.Allchin steam traction engine

Post by un1corn »

More screenshots.
Attachments
ATE 10.JPG
ATE 10.JPG (242.37 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
ATE 9.JPG
ATE 9.JPG (635.1 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
ATE 8.JPG
ATE 8.JPG (672.96 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is very impressive. Can you tell us more about how you modelled it? Which workbenches did you use, Part/PartDesign? Did you use an assembly workbench?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

I think when making complex models like this a minimum of information should be provided by the author, something like
  • number of bodies or individual parts
  • time to model
  • time to assembly
  • separate files or all in one file
  • Assembly workbench or not
  • source. Is this from a manual, book, magazine? Is this an actual part that you have physically?
  • size of file. Files with many parts are easily in the 15 MB to 30 MB range.
  • FreeCAD version. Surprisingly, many showcasers build their models with an old version of FreeCAD. Maybe it's because they take several weeks to finish their model, so they need to use a stable version, and can't be using the most recent one. I remember seeing complex models like this one, and the author saying they made it on 0.17 or earlier.
  • Computer specifications. Related to the file size and number of parts, maybe it makes sense to mention the resources needed to model a complex assembly like this. Does the computer have 30 GB? Top of the line CPU and GPU? I have built models with hundreds of parts and the file size is 15 MB, and it already struggles with 12 GB RAM. But my computer is definitely not the most powerful.
I think adding this information would be great. It also saves time for those people who will ask those questions anyway.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Beautiful.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

There are no words to accurately describe the joy I get from looking at those screenshots. THANK YOU!
And please feel free to post more .... :D
Rana

Post by Rana »

:D Amazing , impressive work :!: :!:
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

un1corn wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:29 pm This is probably the most complex project I have done to date
Fantastic, absolutely fantastic.
Thanks for the screen shots, un1corn.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Re information requested
I started this model on 7th July 2019 and completed the assembly on 20th October.
There are 723 individual parts + 20 sub-assemblies + several calculation sheets, template models for LH/RH parts and inner formers where the thickness and or extrude tool would not cope.
I am using FreeCad V0.18, parts created mostly in PartDesign and Sketcher WB's and assembled with A2plus Workbench V0, 4.25.
Items such as the spoke and spud screws and rivets were generated where possible as an array in Draft WB which made it easier to import and position in the assembly.
The source of these and the greater majority of the model plans of the images I have posted were sourced here:- http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.com/telechargements4/ courtesy of JDW Draughting services, 12 Brightwell Street, Papakura, New Zealand.
Julian De Waal is very helpful if you need to contact him with any questions.

Bear in mind that as I am now 76, well and truly retired, have some mobility issues and have been widowed for close to 10 years, I have plenty of time to devote to these model, I wish I was still in the position to physically make them.
I have attached a PDF sheet showing the details of my PC etc.
I hope this answers most of the questions raised.
Attachments
PC_FC info.pdf
(473.76 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated thread with correct workbench name
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the information. As there are several discussions about assembly this is a valuable demonstration of the capabilities of a2plus.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.