Creating different thread molding with the ThreadProfile WB

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bavariaSHAPE

Creating different thread molding with the ThreadProfile WB

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Often it is the small inconspicuous things that make life easier. For me it is among other things the ThreadProfile Workbench.

Normally no real threaded holes are inserted in the constructions. This also applies to screws, grub screws etc.. It's different now with 3D printing. Real threads are needed here.

With the ThraedProfil WB it is now really easy and fast to create internal and external threads, in a few minutes. And the most important, also later change.

Here I have two simple but typical examples that appear again and again in mechanical engineering: a spacer ring and a threaded plug.

Showcase.jpg
Showcase.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Showcase.jpg
Showcase.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

So many thanks to all programmers who make life a little easier for us FreeCAD users. In this case @TheMarkster.
For more information, click here:

… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Creating different thread molding with the ThreadProfile WB

Post by chrisb »

Which size have the threads from the images? The upper looks like M8 or M10, but I have no idea what size the lower one has. Do you have experience how small the threads can get? It's quite some time that I made some tests and below 5mm things became very, hm, lets say critical.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 pm Which size have the threads from the images? The upper looks like M8 or M10, but I have no idea what size the lower one has. Do you have experience how small the threads can get? It's quite some time that I made some tests and below 5mm things became very, hm, lets say critical.
The upper has M5, the lower M16. I would not do less like M5. Then I take a threaded bush. Under M5 just is not enough material in the threads. If possible, I also like to use round threads.

It always depends on the location in the space of the 3D printer. And on various settings in the slicer.

I have to test the second variant in TheadProfile, which is a kind of saw thread. This may have a better effect on the frictional connection.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The Saw tooth thread could have the advantage that it can be printed without overhangs. Like chamfers are printer friendly as opposed to fillets.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:52 pm The Saw tooth thread could have the advantage that it can be printed without overhangs. Like chamfers are printer friendly as opposed to fillets.
That was also the idea of ​​@TheMarkster, as far as I can remember.