vocx wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:24 pm
You should express your opinion on the tools that you used. If there are any problematic things in Arch and Draft we can look into them.
Fair enough. Difficulties that stand out:
1) windows! sketching a custom window is easy enough (the plan book has pages for standard windows, doors, signage, etc), but getting the window to the right place on the wall is exasperating. I tried changing sketch placements, copying sketches, making draft clones, etc and was never sure where my window was going to wind up, if it would be right side up when it got there or if it would make a hole in the wall.
My "solution" was to make a separate file for each style/size of window, then duplicate the base sketch so I have YZ, XZ and XY sketches, make a group, then import the window file into the main file. Then I copy the appropriate sketch and change its placement until I get it where I want it.
This still requires moving the sketch by small amounts to find the sweet spot when it actually cuts the wall.
2) window creation dialog UI. data fields seem to have focus at all times. attempts to scroll down cause unintended changed values in the spinboxes. this dialog seems to be unavailable at the moment ("local variable 'os' referenced before assignment"), so details on this one will have to wait.
3) regular need to recompute "wall" to see results of edits. Once the tree gets longer, asking for a wall recompute by scrolling back up, right click, recompute feature, then having to find the object of interest again, becomes irritating.
4) roof task is not unit aware. probably not an issue for most, but since my source material used ft/in, this was inconvenient.
5) I had trouble with the whole roof creation process. Upside down roof, tiny partial roof panels, difficulty keeping straight which roof edge index corresponded to which physical edge. I managed to make my 2 roofs, but I could not teach somebody else how I did it.