Railway Station

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
wandererfan

Railway Station

Postby wandererfan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:19 am

This is my first attempt to use Arch other than for testing code. There is some Part and Draft in there too.

The model is based on drawings from 1914 for CPR No. 16 Standard Station. This station would serve a small town for passenger and express freight service.

TrackSide.png
TrackSide.png (16.53 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
WestEnd.png
WestEnd.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

I had a hard time with windows and doors, but I'm getting better.
BetterWindows.png
BetterWindows.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
vocx

Re: Railway Station

Postby vocx » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:24 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:19 am
This is my first attempt to use Arch other than for testing code. There is some Part and Draft in there too.
Noice. You should express your opinion on the tools that you used. If there are any problematic things in Arch and Draft we can look into them.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
bitacovir

Postby bitacovir » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Good work! It looks nice.
(If you need FreeCAD Arch examples to test TechDraw code, here you can find some of them: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... in_FreeCAD )
::bitacovir::
===================================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
My old Blog
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
paullee

Postby paullee » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:54 am

Looks great ! Window is tricky :)
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am

vocx wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:24 pm
You should express your opinion on the tools that you used. If there are any problematic things in Arch and Draft we can look into them.
Fair enough. Difficulties that stand out:

1) windows! sketching a custom window is easy enough (the plan book has pages for standard windows, doors, signage, etc), but getting the window to the right place on the wall is exasperating. I tried changing sketch placements, copying sketches, making draft clones, etc and was never sure where my window was going to wind up, if it would be right side up when it got there or if it would make a hole in the wall.

My "solution" was to make a separate file for each style/size of window, then duplicate the base sketch so I have YZ, XZ and XY sketches, make a group, then import the window file into the main file. Then I copy the appropriate sketch and change its placement until I get it where I want it.

This still requires moving the sketch by small amounts to find the sweet spot when it actually cuts the wall.

2) window creation dialog UI. data fields seem to have focus at all times. attempts to scroll down cause unintended changed values in the spinboxes. this dialog seems to be unavailable at the moment ("local variable 'os' referenced before assignment"), so details on this one will have to wait.

3) regular need to recompute "wall" to see results of edits. Once the tree gets longer, asking for a wall recompute by scrolling back up, right click, recompute feature, then having to find the object of interest again, becomes irritating.

4) roof task is not unit aware. probably not an issue for most, but since my source material used ft/in, this was inconvenient.

5) I had trouble with the whole roof creation process. Upside down roof, tiny partial roof panels, difficulty keeping straight which roof edge index corresponded to which physical edge. I managed to make my 2 roofs, but I could not teach somebody else how I did it.
carlopav

Postby carlopav » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:15 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:55 am
1) windows!
2) window creation dialog UI.
Agree... I have quite a nice plan for a new window object, but still need time to digest the wall :)
3) regular need to recompute "wall" to see results of edits. Once the tree gets longer, asking for a wall recompute by scrolling back up, right click, recompute feature, then having to find the object of interest again, becomes irritating.
I did not get this one, can you explain it better?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:27 pm

carlopav wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:15 pm
Agree... I have quite a nice plan for a new window object, but still need time to digest the wall :)
Good news!
I did not get this one, can you explain it better?
Sometimes, after adding or moving a window, the window does not appear, or appears in the old location, or looks like a sketch instead of a window. This is almost always corrected by using "recompute object" on the host wall. So I scroll to the top of the tree to recompute the wall. Then I have to scroll back down to find the window again to change a property or add the next window. But of course I scroll past the window of interest and have to back track.

This is fine now and again, but if it happens many times in an edit session I become impatient.

Maybe there is a break in the recompute chain after the window change.

Maybe I need a button or context entry for "recompute wall".

Maybe I need a second monitor or new glasses.

wf
carlopav

Postby carlopav » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:06 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:27 pm
Maybe there is a break in the recompute chain after the window change.
Let me guess: you did not move the widow, but the window's sketch?
If so, this is a bad practice in current implementation, because the window object doesn't "know" it has been moved (the placement of the window does not change). And so the wall is not aware that it have to recompute. I think there is no solution to this problem, at least with window object as it is designed now...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm

wandererfan wrote:
1) windows!
5) I had trouble with the whole roof creation process.
Yeah, I think windows is the number one topic that is difficult in Arch. If you have a square building, in which you only need simple windows in two orientations then it's no problem, but as soon as you need to add rotated windows then it becomes a bit of a struggle.

Did you see my tutorial? Tutorial_custom_placing_of_windows_and_doors

As for the roof, I never really tried the tool itself. I prefer to create the roof manually, by extruding sketches, and then using the Arch Roof tool on the resulting solid. It may be easier if you think you can produce the roof with PartDesign quicker.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
jpg87

Postby jpg87 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:09 am

wandererfan wrote:
My "solution" was to make a separate file for each style/size of window, then duplicate the base sketch so I have YZ, XZ and XY sketches, make a group, then import the window file into the main file. Then I copy the appropriate sketch and change its placement until I get it where I want it.
5) I had trouble with the whole roof creation process. Upside down roof, tiny partial roof panels, difficulty keeping straight which roof edge index corresponded to which physical edge. I managed to make my 2 roofs, but I could not teach somebody else how I did it.
Hi,
On my website, I offer workarounds that I developed after various tests. What do you think ?
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/04_arch_ind.php
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2020/05/10