Curve pipe

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
pmlee

Curve pipe

Postby pmlee » Tue May 19, 2020 5:08 pm

About 2 years ago, I download this curve pipe plan from the internet. However, I didn't know how to draw this pipe using FreeCAD. Although there are lots of videos showing how this model is done using Solid Works or other commercial CAD tools. None of the models was created using FreeCAD.

However, after a very long time searching and testing, I finally managed to create this model using FreeCAD. In order to share my experience, I've created a short video to demonstrate how to create this curve pipe. I hope this tutorial video will help those who still figuring how to draw this model. FreeCAD rules!!

phpBB [video]
chrisb

Re: Curve pipe

Postby chrisb » Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Nice video! This technique is known here as "Wilfried's trick"; see in the German forum https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p165745.
freecad-heini-1

Postby freecad-heini-1 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:20 pm

chrisb wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm
Nice video! This technique is known here as "Wilfried's trick"; see in theGerman forum https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p165745.
Thanks a lot Chris. That's out of date now. The new modern solution is available as mixed-curve in the Curves Workbench.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/search.php ... ixed-Curve
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue May 19, 2020 6:32 pm

Ok, Wilfried always has a new trick up his sleeve :D .
paullee

Postby paullee » Tue May 19, 2020 6:38 pm

pmlee wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:08 pm
About 2 years ago, I download this curve pipe plan from the internet. However, I didn't know how to draw this pipe using FreeCAD. Although there are lots of videos showing how this model is done using Solid Works or other commercial CAD tools. None of the models was created using FreeCAD.

However, after a very long time searching and testing, I finally managed to create this model using FreeCAD. In order to share my experience, I've created a short video to demonstrate how to create this curve pipe. I hope this tutorial video will help those who still figuring how to draw this model. FreeCAD rules!!
Awesome ! Care to introduce your works and 南臺科技大學 in 中文论坛 / 中文論壇(简体 / 繁體)
fc_tofu

Postby fc_tofu » Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm

This is a good demo that shows FC internal workbench can make a 3D curve.
Thank you and Wilfried.
Gregory son of Carl

Postby Gregory son of Carl » Wed May 20, 2020 4:35 am

Thanks for making this. Your video is very clear and easy to follow.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am

pmlee, nice! Please add your FreeCAD info to OP + also can you share some lessons learned, bugs encountered, workarounds deployed. It also seems that this clip was made as a presentation, can you share the context?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
pmlee

Postby pmlee » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

My FreeCAD Info is as follows:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.16rc1
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Chinese/Taiwan (zh_TW)

Actually, I've lectured a course named ``3D modeling and fast prototyping`` which has a complete Chinese version tutorial videos uploaded:

phpBB [video]

However, some foreign friends can not understand Chinese, thus I've recorded no Chinese version this semester:
phpBB [video]

FreeCAD is quite stable now, I can use it to create a lot of 3D models, such as:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

or this (in Chinese)
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The major problem I've encountered in FreeCAD is the infamous fillet bug. When the model is too complex, it is not possible to create fillets. For example, this model is not easy to create fillets.

phpBB [video]

Thus, if you encounter fillet problems. You may choose not to create fillet or just create some fillets until FreeCAD can not handle fillets any more. I've a lot of experience dealing with fillet. Maybe I can record a short video to explain how to create fillet in FreeCAD.

Anyway, that's it. I'm glad to share my experience here. Have fun!!