Mousetrap car for a class

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alleriodrone

Mousetrap car for a class

Post by alleriodrone »

In my last semester the professor asked us to design a vehicle that turns a corner. We built it in K'Nex pieces but the professor required that it also have drawings for if it were to go into production. I used Freecad 0.18 and Assembly 2 in order to make this. The wheels are meant to have an o-ring on them initially and were printed on a 3D printer directly using slic3r. This is a very simple assembly but I thought it would be cool to post something I worked on in here. If anyone wants the full assembly file let me know, it would not let me upload more than 5 files so I included the body and arm. If anyone actually wants the full assembly feel free to comment and I can send it by email or something. Note that the string attached to the mousetrap arms wraps around each wheel, this was for an alternate turning method but it remained in the design since I was running short on time and we could not fully redesign it when we rotated the front wheel.

The truss structure was easy to cut with sketches I did have some trouble making a step file to 3d print, if anyone knows how to make a mesh of just the visible outside surfaces in order to avoid conflicting shapes for slicing programs please let me know. I probably will not be 3D printing it but it would be useful information for the future. Thanks for looking.
screenshot of assembly
screenshot of assembly
Screenshot from 2020-09-17 16-42-59.png (151.99 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Attachments
O-ring Wheel_Rev9_LARGER.fcstd
(116.25 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
O-ring Wheel_Rev4.fcstd
(36.45 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Body_3.fcstd
(303.67 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Arm_2.FCStd
(61.37 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Mousetrap car for a class

Post by Kunda1 »

Well done and thanks for sharing!
One thing, please edit the OP and add you About info. Thanks!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs