Designing my own new house using FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Designing my own new house using FreeCAD

Post by bitacovir »

carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 pm @paullee, @bitacovir, consider that maybe Szzer could not want to publish his own house into osarch. So i suggest to wait for his ok for that.
Sure szzer could give his approval, but consider this was already suggested in this thread and he shared a repo link with the model files and the OSArch wiki only has a link pointing this forum that is not a private forum, either. :)
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Good point @bitacovir

BTW, interesting figure for you ! Post 1111

Screenshot from 2020-10-19 23-27-00.png
Screenshot from 2020-10-19 23-27-00.png (156.58 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

I'm curious how you will manage the rain water collected by the roof?
And if you will raise your foundation a few decimeters above the surrounding ground?
Since you're in Holland there's a good chance you're building in the lower regions, could it be a smart idea to make a trough for your house to sit in and make it boyant?
https://www.dezeen.com/2016/01/20/bac ... cture/amp/
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 am [*]See you use a Sketch to layout the floor plan, so it is easier to alter the dimensions etc. Any way other Sketches 'link' to the 'master' floor plan Sketch ?
I find sketches an easy way to modify the floorplan, And indeed some sketches are interlinked. there is a main sketch for the roofline and one for the outline of the walls. I use those for reference. Each part has these two sketches in them (that is at least the intention, since I played with how to set it up efficiently, not all sketches are consistent with this.).
paullee wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 am [*]You place ArchWall etc in a Part Container and make Links to it (not sure about the exact object name as I am not familiar with PartDesign), have you tried directly make a Link to the ArchWal etc. ?
The reason for using a part container is that I can change the walls however I like without destroying the link. Sometimes the the windows in the walls are playing up, refusing to show in the main assembly or being selectable from the feature tree. to fix that I have to put the windows in both in the wall and a seperate folder the "voor export" (for export) folder. If I than put this folder in the part container, the windows show up again in the main assembly. And as a bonus they can be exported to step, if windows are only present in the ArchWall the don't export to step.
paullee wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 am [*]I try used Arch / BIM objects so seem better support to export to IFC (finding what are not supported in the progress and report). Have you exported to IFC and does it works ?
I'haven't tried to export to IFC yet, have not had a need for it, yet. The Building engineer who helps me with the planning permission and making sure that all the drawings are ok, only reviews the 2d drawings. and does not need any more building information. Neither does the municipality.
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 pm Thanks for testing! No, that's not possibile Indeed. At least not yet. There Is an axis align property that could allow you to align the Wall segmento to a master sketch segment, but i'm not sure It Will work properly.
sounds labor intensive, I'll check though.
carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 pm
Also can the door be modeled in an open position? It helps me visualize the space needed for a opening door a lot better.
Also here, not in the default opening, but you can use your custom Door and Windows modeled in part design opened or closed as you Wish.
Well a suggestion for an improvement from me than :-). I appreciate it a lot that you try to improve these features, walls and particuarly windows and doors can be quite fiddly. For example when placing a window, placement is captured in the underlying sketch. But when you want to move the window with the moving tools in the BIM toolbar these moves are stored in the placement of the ArchWindow, while the sketch remains on the old position. Thus two placements are on top of eachother, not very user friendly. I would prefer to have the sketch at the 0,0,0 point and the ArchWindow the proper location in it. (I'll make an example later of this).
carlopav wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:20 pm @paullee, @bitacovir, consider that maybe Szzer could not want to publish his own house into osarch. So i suggest to wait for his ok for that.
No problem, If I did not want to show anything to the world i would not have shared the github. Regarding Licensing I looked into it but was confused which one to choose. I don't mind people using the design, It will change anyway :-p. I'll have a look to the licensing again.
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 am I'm curious how you will manage the rain water collected by the roof?
And if you will raise your foundation a few decimeters above the surrounding ground?
Since you're in Holland there's a good chance you're building in the lower regions, could it be a smart idea to make a trough for your house to sit in and make it boyant?
You funny man ;) .
I'm roughly at one meter above sealevel, high and dry for Dutch standards 8-). If my house ends up under water that's the least of my problems. by that time 59% of The Netherlands will have drowned (lowest point here is -7 meters https://www.ahn.nl/ahn-viewer). The water protection system here in the Netherlands is pretty well engineered. The dykes are calculated to have a 0.01% (once every 10000 years) chance each year for a spring tide in combination with a super storm to cause a flooding somewhere in The Netherlands. https://www.knmi.nl/kennis-en-datacentr ... perstormen.

Nothing to worry about, there are bigger dangers that can kill you :mrgreen: .
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:06 am I'm curious how you will manage the rain water collected by the roof?
The building will be a 10 to 20 cm higher than the surrounnding soil, and the rainwater collection will be a gravel filled trough in the ground, connected to a ditch (sloot in dutch) which is lower still. as stated in the previous post, risk of flooding is negible, a fun fact, if it gets really wet here the waterschapen start the largest steam operated water pumping station in the world. https://www.woudagemaal.nl/woudagemaal. It only runs a couple of weeks out of the year, just to get rid of the surplus water in the fall.
Pauvres_honteux

The rain water management question originated from me not seeing how the water is supposed to get from the roof to the ground. Usually a gutter and downpipe system is utilized, so I presume you've come up with a new and interesting way to deal with it?
I'm also curious if/how you will insulate your foundation/ground and how to prevent moist from getting into your house via the capillary effect?
Further, when a rain drop hit the ground/soil a tiiiny jet beam shoots off from the ground/soil carrying a small amount of it to the lower part of your house, making it rot/decay abnormaly fast. How do you plan to handle/avoid that effect?
Szzer

Post by Szzer »

I simply did not detail the building to the extent of gutters yet.
Also since the roof tiles extend onto the wall, the gutter is positioned on ground level. Although the design will change significantly so this will change too.

I'm aiming to build the house to the Passivehouse standard, which is the highest building insulation and air-tightness standard around. So insulation of the floor slab is as important as the roof with these high insulation values, The insulation of the roof,wall and floor needs to be roughly U-value = 0.15 W/m^2*K (And windows at most U = 0.8 W/m^2*K). The price uplift of this high insulation value is partly compensated by not needing a large heating system, which must be a heatpump (expensive!) by law here (newbuilds are not allowed to have a natural gas connection, due to sustainability).

You're right to point out that water is the biggest enemy of a timerframed house. So to prevent water from creeping into the walls, a water barrier must be applied between the wall and floor, a bitumen or plastic sheet most likely. rot from splashing water is prevented by making at least the lower section of the wall from brick, For my, wood clad, workshop I build a couple of years ago the bottom 30cm is a plastic plate. this is in combination with a large overhang enough.
Pauvres_honteux

Szzer wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 am I'm aiming to build the house to the Passivehouse standard...
To take it up a few notches, try searching for "nilsson energy" and "joule box" on google and youtube.
Sod off energy companies! No more energy bills for your house or car or boat! And sell the excess at spring time.