New project : La-9 (rc warbird) for 3D printing

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HardRock

Re: New project : La-9 (rc warbird) for 3D printing

Post by HardRock »

Here is first prototype made from styrofoam using 5-Axis CNC foam cutter (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=55304) and 3d printing.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Waiting for good weather...

Also further work in progress to make airplane lighter.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Wow, that is really impressive!

Since our autumn has begun so your spring must have started, so hopefully your weather will improve soon. Actually when you think about it, since we are getting colder and you are getting warmer, we will probably meet in the middle for a few days at some point soon. They had a cold snap in southern Australia now coming up from the Antarctic, you will no doubt laugh at the Melbourne people who think it is cold because the temperature dropped to only 12 degrees Celsius, to you that would make them sound like wimps! :)

I just had a thought, your plane would likely fly better or at least generate more lift, while your air is so cold and hence dense. But perhaps by weather improvements, you might be referring to wind and rain (snow?) rather than just temperature.
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

Yeah, now is spring, all snow has gone, but there is a lot water on the field because winter was snowy. Also spring is windy season.

Forecast for tomorrow looks good, sunny weather around +14*C and wind only few meters per second. Today is the same sunny weather, but around +8*C and wind 5 m/s with gusts over 10m/s, that's not good for maiden flight :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

HardRock wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am Yeah, now is spring, all snow has gone, but there is a lot water on the field because winter was snowy. Also spring is windy season.

Forecast for tomorrow looks good, sunny weather around +14*C and wind only few meters per second. Today is the same sunny weather, but around +8*C and wind 5 m/s with gusts over 10m/s, that's not good for maiden flight :)
My car said it was +18 deg C about 3pm here today, there was a gentle breeze that gusted up a bit at times, cloud cover came and went but I don't think it got over about 50% cover at most. So we are not very different today! Actually quite interesting since we are on opposite sides of the planet! :)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

HardRock wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:05 pm Here is first prototype made from styrofoam using 5-Axis CNC foam cutter and 3d printing.
Also further work in progress to make airplane lighter.
impressive, really impressive ! So, what's the weight today ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
HardRock

Post by HardRock »

Current takeoff weight is 1417g. This is a bit heavy because I need to install FPV and IR gun (this warbird intended for FPV air combat game).
It flies well with weight aprox 100g heavier than now, but target max takeoff weight is around 1300g, so I need to reduce weight at around 200g to reach target max takeoff weight. An easy way is remove retractable landing gears because they really heavy, but I want to keep them, so the only way is replace as much printed parts with styrofoam as possible.