[LinkStage3]-Non planar parting lines for molds.

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
OficineRobotica

[LinkStage3]-Non planar parting lines for molds.

Postby OficineRobotica » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm

This model was realized to test and learn the new create edge/face ability of the SubShapeBinder implemented by @realthunder in LinkStage3.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 54#p439205

I'm no expert in mold making so it would be nice to have someone with experience point out problems and see if we manage to get a real mold model out of this. I guess there could be problems with sharp edges in some points of the mold that would be difficult/impossible to machine if this was a real model.

I will create a gihub repository and share the file.
realthunder wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:51 am
Here is a brief summary of the new features in PartDesign, available in my daily build, currently 20201013.
The new tools are amazing. Thank you. Could you please start a new thread in the "Developer corner" sub forum titled "Support for multi-body modeling" or some title that you find appropriate? As a first post you could just copy and paste this . This way there would be an appropriate place to redirect people curious, that have suggestions or want to report bugs etc. Best regards :D

phpBB [video]

mold4.jpeg
mold4.jpeg (277.57 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
mold.jpeg
mold.jpeg (260.67 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
mold1.jpeg
mold1.jpeg (272.72 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
mold2.jpeg
mold2.jpeg (248.93 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
mold3.jpeg
mold3.jpeg (280.75 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
realthunder

Re: [LinkStage3]-Non planar parting lines for molds.

Postby realthunder » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Nice! I'll open a thread soon.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
-alex-

Postby -alex- » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Hey, nice stuffs here 8-)
OficineRobotica wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm
This model was realized to test and learn the new create edge/face ability of the SubShapeBinder implemented by @realthunder in LinkStage3.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 54#p439205
Yes, those new features are really cool. Allow a lot of possibilities :D
AIMEDSOLUTIONS

Postby AIMEDSOLUTIONS » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Dear OR (Sorry I dont know your name)
if you are not a mold maker/designer then you deserve a salute. You did great job. I am downloading the windows version and will try soon. I already made two or three molds using FC.
I am not discussing things regarding manufacturing point of view. I want to discuss some issues (if you like to ask) regarding designing/features related issues in FC (in this branch).
The main issue I am facing is updating of every thing on every stage. What I want to say is if I made a complete design and I need to modify something, so I am in sketcher and updating the sketch and on every step its give me a long time to wait as its updating entire part. Normally what CADs doing is when we modify the sketch, software wont update anything untill we finish the sketch and close the sketcher.
Other question I will ask if you allow me.

Zaki
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22670 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 12155f4aab09047c5697db0c1b3cf93b02edda03
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
M4x

Postby M4x » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:15 pm

AIMEDSOLUTIONS wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:50 pm
[...]
The main issue I am facing is updating of every thing on every stage. What I want to say is if I made a complete design and I need to modify something, so I am in sketcher and updating the sketch and on every step its give me a long time to wait as its updating entire part.
[...]
Look for "Skip recomputes" here: Tree_view
mfro

Postby mfro » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:24 pm

M4x wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:15 pm
Look for "Skip recomputes" here: Tree_view
And also look how you can use these recomputes to interactively check how changes in the sketch affect the overall model from inside the sketcher.
Althoug annoying in complex models (where you indeed should make yourself familiar with "Skip recomputes"), I personally find that invaluable during design.
Cheers,
Markus
OficineRobotica

Postby OficineRobotica » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:04 am

AIMEDSOLUTIONS wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:50 pm

The main issue I am facing is updating of every thing on every stage. What I want to say is if I made a complete design and I need to modify something, so I am in sketcher and updating the sketch and on every step its give me a long time to wait as its updating entire part. Normally what CADs doing is when we modify the sketch, software wont update anything untill we finish the sketch and close the sketcher.
Other question I will ask if you allow me.
Talking about LinkStage3 NOT master....is this the problem that you are facing? If yes unfortunately "SkipRecomputes" won't help much:
OficineRobotica wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:50 am
P.S. I still randomly hit the memory problem from time to time. Do you still need reports or example files? It happens(to be expected) when some modification is done early in the history and allot has to be rebuilt. The problem isn't the waiting, I see peaks of 90% cpu usage which is good but the fact that memory isn't freed anymore not even if I close the file. Only if I close FC completely.
Realthunder has responded with:
realthunder wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:05 am
I'll start adding patches for the memory problem in subsequent releases soon (not the next one though), which might be a bit disruptive. On the other hand, the memory not free problem may not be a leak, although I cannot confirm at the moment. Even if the application frees the memory, it still depends on the runtime heap manager to decide whether to hold on to the allocated heap pages in case of future use.
Keep an eye on memory consumption, if FC starts to eat memory and not free it anymore you'vd hit a known problem. The toponaming algorithm is working hard to keep track of all the changes in your dependency graph if a change is made early in the history. From my little understanding, the new toponaming algorithm is a hugely complex mater and Realthunder is aware of this issue and working on it. So we need to be just a little patient. Things will get better.

Just as a side note, I have stress tested some models for the topo naming issue and they were almost impossible to break while sometimes, it is enough to move a line in a sketch in master to mess up an entire model. Until now, the only way I found to brake a model is to trigger logically impossible situations, like deleting 2 or more features of a model early in the tree, so I guess one would call that user error. Realthunder has tought about that also thus, right click on a feature in the tree -> suppress instead of deleting it.

For any other questions just ask here. If I'm able to I will help as much as possible. We must release Realthunder from "user help" as much as possible. Let's just hunt down bugs, he is really good at squashing them.

Thank you for your kind words about the model. Yes, I never made a single mold in my life but searching the internet's one can find tutorials on just about anything so that helps allot. With a bit of experience of how FC works, the vast majority of tutorials for other 3d cad applications can be adapted to obtain the same result.

Anyway, following those tutorials, I'm aware of these problems on my model:
- the shrinkage factor of the plastic was not considered. How would one go about resolving that issue? A fast parametric way that I thought is to use the scale parameter of links. The main mold is modeled in 1:1 scale and the model to be machined is a link of the main mold with scale applied. Would that work as intended?
- no drafts on faces so that plastic component could become a bi*** to release lol
- no plastic intake channel modeled
- no air escape channel modeled
- no release pins modeled

If you see any other problems or have any question hit me with them. Cheers
Acrophobic

Postby Acrophobic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 am

Hi OR, how did you make rotating view of the components in the start of your video ?

I first saw it in your previous video, and I thought you were using assembly workbench to animate the rotation. However, in this video I see you are not using assembly workbench at all, so I wonder how did you make it. Or is it another goodies from realthunder's branch ?
OficineRobotica

Postby OficineRobotica » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:33 am

Acrophobic wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 am
Hi OR, how did you make rotating view of the components in the start of your video ?

I first saw it in your previous video, and I thought you were using assembly workbench to animate the rotation. However, in this video I see you are not using assembly workbench at all, so I wonder how did you make it. Or is it another goodies from realthunder's branch ?
Main menu -> Tools -> View turntable ;)

This seems like a secret feature of FC lol. I have already been asked about.
Acrophobic

Postby Acrophobic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:42 am

OficineRobotica wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:33 am
Main menu -> Tools -> View turntable ;)

This seems like a secret feature of FC lol. I have already been asked about.
Oh god, that's embarassing. TIL something new I guess :lol:

Thank you :mrgreen: