My first FreeCad Model !

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
LHC

My first FreeCad Model !

Postby LHC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Not much of a model but after weeks of reading wikis and watching YouTube videos I actually made something. And even applied my new knowledge to create a drawing in techdraw. This is a little model steam engine part that a friend of mine wanted to have a drawing of as he starts machining a casting of it that came in a kit. It was the only part in the kit that didn't come with a drawing and he knew I was trying to learn FreeCad so he tasked me with it. Turns out it was a good thing too - nothing like being pushed to make something real to really expose lack of knowledge on the cad system :lol:

I used some parameters and the spreadsheet capability as well while doing this. And I behaved myself and didn't attach sketches to the generated geometry and having the topo issue affect me later.

Had to show this on here in the hopes someone might appreciate my efforts more than my wife who just rolled her eyes when I excitedly showed her the finished result on the laptop !

Cheers from sunny Canada !
Attachments
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG (94.58 KiB) Viewed 858 times
IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG (24 KiB) Viewed 858 times
kisolre

Re: My first FreeCad Model !

Postby kisolre » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 pm

That is the spirit :) Learning by doing is the way for me also :) Trying photogrammetry to use as a base for a FreeCAD model now :)
But you missed at least 3 dimensions in that drawing - the two outer diameters and the thickness of the flat part.
LHC

Re: My first FreeCad Model !

Postby LHC » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:11 pm

You're right ! Easy to fix 👍