Code: Select all
OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (XFCE/xfce) Word size of OS: 64-bit Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit Version: 0.19.23964 (Git) AppImage Build type: Release Branch: master Hash: db9525e7d78c956df96dd6db2c52f20a50a2aa5f Python version: 3.8.6 Qt version: 5.12.5 Coin version: 4.0.0 OCC version: 7.4.0 Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
After @Paullee helped fix an error I had made it was suggested that I upload this model to the Showcase, so here goes. The above version information is the latest AppImage version, I have followed the AppIage release since I started on this model in mid January.
In designing a house to accommodate a multi-generational family, I had mocked up some base designs in SweetHome3D
However the final design would need so room size tweaking. To do this I decided to use sketches with length constraints. As recommended on the wiki, I split the sketches up into smaller parts, linked together with external geometry. This also means that walls can be grouped by thickness and changes to the internal rooms change the external walls, keeping the ground floor and first floor the same size. However, some changes to sketches, like removing a line, change some of the names of other lines, which can break external links. There are also links to some external geometry of roofs and walls, eg for the ridge tiles. These seem to get the edges renamed very easily, especially when using another solid to cut out part of the wall or roof. If I was to do this again, I would look to find a better method do these links.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
My output is for a planning application so needs to be plans and elevation in 2D so I am using the svg output.
I use the svg output instead of the pdf, as the pdf output seems not to respect the line width or page orientation, although that could be my lack of knowledge. Also it can be seen below that there are errors, like bits of roof in the wrong place, plus I like to remove the joins in the walls, change colours etc. I'm using Inkscape to finish off, which is a little tedious. Hopefully by FreeCAD V1.0 it will not be needed. Below is the pdf export from Inkscape with no adjustment, as the svg files are too large to post. Still working on the finalising, I will post when I have a final output I hope people find this useful for their own projects