House Walls using Sketches

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: House Walls using Sketches

Post by bernd »

others had better results by instaling BlenderBIM and use ifc format to exchange from FreeCAD to Blender. Make sure on FreeCAD ifc export "force brep" is set to true.
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

I had no chance of finding that, too many terms that I do not fully understand to have had a chance at a proper internet search. However, now you have pointed me at it I might have a play.

Maybe better to give up on FreeCAD and just use Blender ;)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

AndrewA wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am However the final design would need so room size tweaking. To do this I decided to use sketches with length constraints. As recommended on the wiki, I split the sketches up into smaller parts, linked together with external geometry. This also means that walls can be grouped by thickness and changes to the internal rooms change the external walls, keeping the ground floor and first floor the same size. However, some changes to sketches, like removing a line, change some of the names of other lines, which can break external links. There are also links to some external geometry of roofs and walls, eg for the ridge tiles. These seem to get the edges renamed very easily, especially when using another solid to cut out part of the wall or roof. If I was to do this again, I would look to find a better method do these links.
See my workaround on this issue and some ongoing change.
Workaround - Block Constraint
Changing behaviour - Edges with Block Constraints still Moves

The workaround would still works in most scenarios.

AndrewA wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:29 am I also exported the file as glb to get it into Blender, It was a bit broken. (other formats where broken far worse with no materials, which would make the windows very tedious.)

I used to export as OBJ and seems works. There are Alias Mesh / Waterfront OBJ - Arch Modules, see discussion on difference and check wiki - Export Obj - Alias Mesh vs Arch Module
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

It's a very good work, congrats!
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

How exactly did you do your SVG export?
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

When in TechDraw, on the page you want to export, there is a button that does the export, grouped with the DXF export button. The DXF button has the letters DXF, the svg one seems to be 3 boxes. It exports what is visible at the time.

I assume there are other ways to do the export