call for screenshots - By Yorik

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: call for screenshots - By Yorik

Post by regis »

epileftric wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 am I add an assembly for my robot WIP: Image
Pretty dope spider
arturromarr

Post by arturromarr »

Very nice design. Has it been made in freecad?
Will a spider-robot appear in the topic :"From FreeCAD To The Real World", one day?
(google translation)
hds

Post by hds »

Just a short post to show a VIIC design case. The body work is designed to be cut with a laser cutter. The aft section upto the frame seperator has already been build. Material is plasticized finnpaper in various thicknesses, mainly 2mm. Overall 145 frames are drawn plus Stringers. The glued framework is quite stiff even with these small stringers.
The actual design is made in LibreCAD, because constructing in FreeCAD is a nightmare to me. So basically it is just doing the DXF sketches in LibreCAD, importing them into FreeCAD, place them in 3D space and thicken them up. Using FreeCAD this way gives me the benefit of getting the shape of the stringers, keel and such for free.
FreeCAD Version 0.16 6712(GIT) on Lubuntu 16.04 LTS.
Attachments
VIIC_1.jpg
VIIC_1.jpg (233.35 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
hds

Post by hds »

I don't know if it is ok to send another view. If not than pls delete it.
Attachments
VIIC_2.jpg
VIIC_2.jpg (248.76 KiB) Viewed 24264 times
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

hds wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm Just a short post to show a VIIC design case.
Wow, man, I love it.
Congratulation.
hds wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm The body work is designed to be cut with a laser cutter.
So, you build a model ? How long will it be ?
hds

Post by hds »

Yep. The overall length is approx. 150cm, width 14cm. Scale approx 1:45. When the drawing has been done, cutting and glueing is just pure fun. Like a kit ...
Attachments
VIIC_aft_section.jpg
VIIC_aft_section.jpg (367.56 KiB) Viewed 24235 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice project.

P.S. Sorry to hear you are not all that comfortable working with Sketcher/Draft workbench. As it feels they should be a perfect fit for a project like this. But then again indeed LibreCAD is cool too.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

hds wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm The actual design is made in LibreCAD, because constructing in FreeCAD is a nightmare to me.
The screen shots look amazing. I can appreciate the fact that differences can make a simple task in one package more difficult in another, but what, specifically makes doing the entire design in FreeCAD so difficult? Is it a lacking feature or set of features? Or something else?
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
hds

Post by hds »

Puh, what a delicate question here.
The DRAFTing tool is too limited for me CADding and the SKETCHER is too complex when entering coordinate i.e. lines, points constraints.

Update:
Redone the 120 frames with splines so that "ruled surfaces" (all in all a few hundreds) can be used as the hull. Done with freecad 0.17 with the dxf spline import function.
Attachments
viic_2.jpg
viic_2.jpg (182.36 KiB) Viewed 23888 times
arturromarr

Post by arturromarr »

A very interesting project.
It looks like it will be made in reality.
Maybe it's worth creating a separate topic. Your topic could develop, and this is a collective topic.
I am sending greeting and I wish you good luck.
(google translation)