House modeling in progress

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: House modeling in progress

Post by paullee »

ABeton wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm I tried the App Link this time, and put all furniture in separate files, and then in one file. So in essence it is a furniture library. And just imported it all with the Link, and can say that it works really well and keeps the model light. Also I generated the 2D View in separate furniture files and the put both the model and the 2D drawing into the Link Group. What you can do after this is create a sub-link of the 2D drawing and move it into a separate file (this is good if you want to move a 3D model and the 2D view together, but show or hide them at different times). My explanation is probably not the best I know :oops:

Impressive! Particularly with the pleasing colours and the combination, furnitures, detailing, everything :D

Just curious if you had done some furnitures which can be shared in FC library, discussion. That enrich and make the space much more impressive!

And would be great if you can shared your model and/or show some of the workflow with App:Link.

Thanks !
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

bitacovir wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 pm
ABeton wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 pm
I am not sure how to document the use of links and sublinks though, maybe I could attach a couple of screenshots here with descriptions?
Yes. Some screenshots and a description. Also you could share some small files as examples.
Ok I think I have an idea how to do it. Should I do it in this same post or create a new one for this?
paullee wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:49 pm Cross-posting from OSArch @bitacovir did :D

https://community.osarch.org/discussion ... cad#latest
Cool hahahha :D Maybe a link to the OSArch website could be placed of the User Showcase or in Draft, Arch & BIM in the forum? I rarely visit OSArch because it is hard to find and I see it has some good stuff.
paullee wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 am
ABeton wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:03 pm I tried the App Link this time, and put all furniture in separate files, and then in one file. So in essence it is a furniture library. And just imported it all with the Link, and can say that it works really well and keeps the model light. Also I generated the 2D View in separate furniture files and the put both the model and the 2D drawing into the Link Group. What you can do after this is create a sub-link of the 2D drawing and move it into a separate file (this is good if you want to move a 3D model and the 2D view together, but show or hide them at different times). My explanation is probably not the best I know :oops:

Impressive! Particularly with the pleasing colours and the combination, furnitures, detailing, everything :D

Just curious if you had done some furnitures which can be shared in FC library, discussion. That enrich and make the space much more impressive!

And would be great if you can shared your model and/or show some of the workflow with App:Link.

Thanks !
Thanks :D I often prefer the No Shading view to the default one.

And no, I havent really done and furniture, all of this I downloaded from GrabCAD. I dont know what kind of licence is used there and if people who made the models would allow us to add them to the FreeCAD library.

I think I have a chair model I could use to show as a proof of concept for the App:Link workflow :D
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Import furniture with 2D drawing - concept

Bellow I present a simple concept to import furniture from a library folder using App Link together with a 2D top view. After a piece of furniture is imported when it is moved the 2D drawing is moved as well, but the 2D drawing is placed into the Layers file, which allows us to show the 3D model and the 2D drawing separatley in an easy way.
1.png
1.png (155.55 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

1. Create a file with a piece of furniture.

2.png
2.png (165.7 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

2. Make a 2D view from the top using Shape 2D View and put it all in a Link Group.

3.png
3.png (150.63 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

3. Link the furniture to the main file where you are doing the project.

4.png
4.png (255.67 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

4. In this example I created 6 elements of the furniture using the Element Count option.

5.png
5.png (272.51 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

5. Then select all the 2D drawings of each element and create sub-links.
Last edited by ABeton on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

6.png
6.png (255.52 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

6. Create a 2D layer and put all the sub-links into it.

7.png
7.png (230.33 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

7. This enables us to show the 2D drawing and 3D model at different times, which is very practical later on in combination with Working Plane View to create 2D plans.

8.png
8.png (238 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

8. When one of the elements is moved, the 2D drawing is moved together with it.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Simply awesome, thanks for sharing the idea!
(especially the idea to have the 2dshape of the linked forniture used when you will have to make the final draw in TD)

I think that this should be an Arch tutorial in the wiki, it's very very usuful for anybody.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

ABeton wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am And no, I havent really done and furniture, all of this I downloaded from GrabCAD. I dont know what kind of licence is used there and if people who made the models would allow us to add them to the FreeCAD library.

I think I have a chair model I could use to show as a proof of concept for the App:Link workflow :D
Thanks ! I have a look and realise it is a place for sharing CAD models.

Curious what format of the furniture model you find, seems not mesh (no triangulation) right?

And thanks for the App:Link workflow demonstration! Time to study now :D
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

ragohix769 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 am Simply awesome, thanks for sharing the idea!
(especially the idea to have the 2dshape of the linked forniture used when you will have to make the final draw in TD)

I think that this should be an Arch tutorial in the wiki, it's very very usuful for anybody.
Thanks :D Yes I think it would be useful for sure. It allows to have bigger architecture models with a lot of furniture. I dont know if it would be possible to automatise this into a command. We have the object library already, so when a piece of furniture is imported(perhaps as a link) that you get a drawing automaticaly generated and placed into the 2D layer(something like that perhaps).

paullee wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:19 pm
ABeton wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am And no, I havent really done and furniture, all of this I downloaded from GrabCAD. I dont know what kind of licence is used there and if people who made the models would allow us to add them to the FreeCAD library.

Thanks ! I have a look and realise it is a place for sharing CAD models.

Curious what format of the furniture model you find, seems not mesh (no triangulation) right?

And thanks for the App:Link workflow demonstration! Time to study now :D
Yes it a really great library of models, they have models in various formats, but most importantly in STEP. All the furniture I used is STEP so this makes it possible to generate 2D drawings easily.

Hahahaha sure thing :D As I said above I wonder if this or a similar process could be automatised, so that we can easily get 2D drawings of furniture when we import them.
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Also one thing to add I have a problem when I want to import models from the BIM Objects Library. There is the online option but when I activate it, it doesnt work. also There are some links below to webistes like BIM object and when I try to open them, it does not work. So was just wondering what could be the problem?
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

ABeton wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:12 pm Also one thing to add I have a problem when I want to import models from the BIM Objects Library. There is the online option but when I activate it, it doesnt work. also There are some links below to webistes like BIM object and when I try to open them, it does not work. So was just wondering what could be the problem?
Check if you are doing right.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/BIM_Workbench

If still it does not work it could be a bug.
yorik wrote:ping
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
paullee
Veteran