PVC window extrusion

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlod

PVC window extrusion

Post by carlod »

After the D-SUB, I've tested freecad with last build (5059) with complex sketches..
So I've modeled a PVC window profile found on the web.

Freecad sketch module shows slow down when there are a lot of elements and contrains but the work can be done. And we know that 0.12 is not focused on productivity. :)
I've encountered issue, crash and bugs but I'll explain everything in the proper discussion.
I could do it thanks to the last sprint on bug solving. Good work!!! :D

here the file
Attachments
pvc_window.JPG
pvc_window.JPG (57.83 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by NormandC »

Very nice!!! :)

There is a problem with two of your pocket's cavities, they didn't extrude properly (lower left of the image). I guess what could be done is divide your sketch in 2 or 3. You can simply copy-paste the sketch, then you remove some closed profiles on each sketch. You'd need to map the copied sketch(es) to a face (option in the Part Design menu). I'm guessing this could solve the problem.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

carlod wrote:After the D-SUB, I've tested freecad with last build (5059) with complex sketches..
So I've modeled a PVC window profile found on the web.
normandc wrote:Very nice!!! :)

There is a problem with two of your pocket's cavities, they didn't extrude properly (lower left of the image).

Hi Norm and Carlod
I was wondering if Norm is right or if it is a lighting/visualisation issue? I have had things a little like this before, except in my case I found if I held the control button and clicked with the mouse and thus rotated the view a little bit, that it would display better.

I have made a copy of the part of your model in question. If you rotate you model a little so that you can see, is this part correctly extruded or not?

regards Jim
screenshot_is this lighting.jpeg
screenshot_is this lighting.jpeg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
carlod

Post by carlod »

Yes I see the pocket problem but I've left it as it is to show you this issue.. :)
I think is an extrusion problem and not a visualization problem.
But our code gurus can tell us more..

Opening and closing the pocket sketch just now, the problem remain only in the smallest hole.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

It's not a problem of the extruding it's a problem of the algorithm to make faces out of the components of the sketch. We need a way to check which components are independent and which define a hole inside another component. The part where we have these strange faces we wrongly assume that the one component is a hole of the other one because the bounding boxes intersect.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

A workaround is to remove the two problematic components and put them into two new sketches.