plastic gear

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mpyusko

plastic gear

Post by mpyusko »

Well here it is. A small gear for a servo. Now if I could only get it made in Delrin or Acetal.... cheap, and before Christmas.
Attachments
24T 8T plastic gear.fcstd
FreeCAD file
(150.66 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by NormandC »

Nice gear! Odd thing though, the Cut feature should normally have below it two solids, a big cylinder and a smaller one that cuts the first to create the hole; but it seems to have been lost.

Also, the bottom and top gear need to be fused with the cylinder to make it a single part.

As for having it made... I guess 3D printing would not be precise enough for the teeth? Plus I don't think Delrin and Acetal are available materials. And I believe CNC machining is expensive... Good luck!

@ logari81

It's a rare thing to see a programmer actually show that he actually uses the software to model stuff! ;)
mpyusko

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by mpyusko »

I fused it after that screen cap. It is one part now. It drives the worm gear in a Meade 492 Two Motor Drive System. They won't provide support for it and I can't find it normally stocked at a gear supplier. So I made this so I could send it out for estimates. My wife's uncle has one of these http://www.gemvision.com/html/products/ ... o540c.html and might be able to cast it in copper, but the bit has a 10% angle error and certain dimensions might not be right because of it. He can also use the file I made to try it.
Last edited by mpyusko on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.