furniture

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jdluke

furniture

Post by jdluke »

Hi all,

I'm a rather new user of FreeCAD, having first downloaded version 0.12 for 64 bit Windows it just a few weeks ago. I did so because I was seeking something to help me do some furniture design. After looking at the available options on the market, I figured I was better off just making something myself, and I thought it would be a good idea to be a bit rigorous about the process. My usual process of cut twice, then measure just isn't going to cut it for something that I intend to be well made and viewable by the public.

I took measurements and slowly modeled (in lesser or greater detail) my various A/V components, speakers, the 65" DLP TV, etc. At first I found FreeCAD to be a real crash-fest, but I found that as I got more proficient with the program, and as I guess I began to work more along the lines for which it is designed, it became quite a bit more stable for me.

I think I'm closing in on a final design now, which just needs some drawers and hardware added (and spousal approval) before I go ahead and start cutting wood for it. I'm showing two views here, one of which includes all the A/V components (which are in a group for easy visibility toggling en masse).

jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by jmaustpc »

jdluke wrote: At first I found FreeCAD to be a real crash-fest,
Unless you are talking about an earlier version from a couple of months ago or more, freeCAD 0.12, should be reasonably stable. Certainly not crashing all the time. If you mean you were getting the current version of 0.12 to crash, could you please post how and what you do to make it crash? So someone can de-bug it.

Of course start by copying your file, so that you don't risk corrupting your working version.

Congrats on the furniture, your not the only one who requires the approval from "her who must be obeyed"!

I found using colour helped to gain the approval. You can colour just a face, or a whole item. For the whole item see the bottom of combi view for the item. To colour a face, right click on the shape in the top window of combi-view, and select the second item "set colours..."

Jim
jdluke

Post by jdluke »

Unfortunately, I can't really provide a method to recreate crashes. I'm a software developer by trade myself, and am generally very good at finding patterns, but this just plain eludes me. However, I have to say it's been happening a LOT less in the last two weeks or so. If I come up with any situations where I can give replication steps I will be sure to post them.

I wasn't (and still am not) doing anything particularly complicated, just mostly toying with sketches, pads, and pockets, trying to learn how the system operates.

I was playing with the drafting module just a few minutes ago, projecting a couple of parts into 2D. FreeCAD has not crashed as a result, but I do have the following in my Report View. This stuff I can tie to setting all 0.00 values for the "Projection" of the 2D image, as I play with Data tab.
FeaturePython::onChanged (Shape2DView): Unknown C++ exception
Shape2DView: Unknown C++ exception
FeaturePython::onChanged (Shape2DView): (9, 'Bad file descriptor')
FeaturePython::onChanged (Shape2DView001): (9, 'Bad file descriptor')
Shape2DView001: (9, 'Bad file descriptor')
FeaturePython::onChanged (Shape2DView001): Unknown C++ exception
Shape2DView001: Unknown C++ exception
This object type is not editable
FeaturePython::onChanged (Shape2DView): (9, 'Bad file descriptor')
This object type is not editable
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jdluke wrote:FreeCAD has not crashed as a result, but I do have the following in my Report View. This stuff I can tie to setting all 0.00 values for the "Projection" of the 2D image, as I play with Data tab.
Ah, thanks for reporting, fixing that right now!
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I am pretty confident that a lot of those Bad file descriptors arise from python not having a STDOUT opened. Like using importSVG.import(...) works from the CLI but not from the GUI (on MS Windows). On Linux all those 'print' commands go to the terminal a started my 'x' session from.
jdluke

Post by jdluke »

yorikvanhavre wrote:
jdluke wrote:FreeCAD has not crashed as a result, but I do have the following in my Report View. This stuff I can tie to setting all 0.00 values for the "Projection" of the 2D image, as I play with Data tab.
Ah, thanks for reporting, fixing that right now!
:D Rock on!
jdluke

Post by jdluke »

shoogen wrote:
I am pretty confident that a lot of those Bad file descriptors arise from python not having a STDOUT opened. Like using importSVG.import(...) works from the CLI but not from the GUI (on MS Windows). On Linux all those 'print' commands go to the terminal a started my 'x' session from.
That makes sense. In that case it might be best to either create a log file to (optionally) gather those print commands, or to just suppress the error messages, which tend to pollute the ones that are more helpful in nature.
jdluke

Post by jdluke »

OK, I've got a crash I can reproduce (32 bit Windows, FreeCAD 0.12) every time.

1) Open the attached file, which consists of nothing more than a box sized to be a Nintendo Wii (thus the name). Note that there's an exclamation point on the box, which probably has something to do with it... But I don't know just how to fix that or track down the problem.

2) Double click on the 'Box' element, bringing up the transform graphics.

3) Click on the workspace window where the box is displayed. I've tried this over empty space and over the box itself, it seems to make no difference.

4) Move the mouse at least a little bit to get the box to rotate

5) Hit ESC key

6) Death
Attachments
Nintendo_Wii.FCStd
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Mhh
I can not reproduce that....
Anyone else this crash?
Stop whining - start coding!
jdluke

Post by jdluke »

jriegel wrote:Mhh
I can not reproduce that....
Anyone else this crash?
I guess I should mention that I'm using XP on a work notebook (ThinkPad T400) here.

The funny thing though, is that I can no longer reproduce it. It was very consistent through about 20 trials this morning just before I posted it, and now nothing. The machine has not been rebooted in the interim, and I have to admit that it is a real head-scratcher for me. I won't apologize for the fuss, because it was certainly a real issue, although at this point it's rather difficult to say if it is a problem with FreeCAD or with something on my system.