bottle opener

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tux-lab

bottle opener

Post by tux-lab »

It's a pretty simple bottle opener but it still took me a while to draw. One small step toward designing and manufacturing using just open source software.

The image looks larger than the actual 4.0" x 0.5" x 0.1" size. The bottle opener will be made from 304SS.

tux-lab

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by tux-lab »

An update to the bottle opener project. Still needs some fine tuning before laser marking. The pile of scrap metal are the unsuccessful attempts. 304ss eats carbide endmills for snack . . .

Thanks FreeCAD.

tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

tux-lab wrote:304ss eats carbide endmills for snack . . .
When you get an order for a million of them. We will build a stamping die. ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I figured you were going to have it lasercut, it's cool that you're making it on your own CNC mill. :)

There's an open source laser cutter project, Lasersaur, but I doubt it's even capable of cutting through plain CRS 16ga (just a personal feeling, they don't give any useful info on their website)
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I tried to import Bezier Surfaces from a C_Shape_Edit File created by Martin Newell, Jim Blinn, Hank Driskill and Russ Fish. http://www.cs.utah.edu/gdc/projects/alp ... bezier.scl
Edit: I think now i understand Fish's modifications
Last edited by shoogen on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

shoogen wrote:I wasnt' able to cut a hole in the the body to connect the body to the spout.
The cut operation on the spout corrupts the solid. Not sure why. I tried to move the loft feature a little in Y to eliminate the coincidental faces, but that didn't help.
tux-lab

Post by tux-lab »

I completed the first batch of bottle openers. I am still working on documenting the process, but if any of the FreeCAD developers, or anyone you think contributed to FreeCAD and would like a bottle opener, or anyone who replied to this thread, email me and I'll mail you one. Or drop by for a visit If you are in the Los Angeles area. The size is relatively small, ~ 4" x .5" x .1", machined from 304ss, then tumbled and burnished to break the sharp corners, then electrochemically etched.

The bottle opener was drawn with FreeCAD in millimeter then exported to FreeCAD for convetion back to inch and then for laying out the machining tool path and finding the end points for writing g-code. The 3d FreeCAD model to 2d LibreCAD dimentioning work flow turned out quite well. Just 6 month ago I didn't think something like this was possible with open source software. An open source 3d parametric CAD really helped me visuallize the project I'm working on, especially on the tig welding cart I posted earlier.

Anyway, the price is Free as in Freedom. While I can't buy everyone a beer and this is not exactly the best bottle opener I've used, it does get the job done and it's made with open source software in a relatively free country.

As a disclaimer, The general shape of the bottle opener and the open source aspect won't change, but this is an evolving project and the cavity may be removed or modified to reduce the machining time which is currently way too long.

Thanks again to FreeCAD and other open source communities that made this bottle opener project possible.

thanks,

John
project.tuxlab@gmail.com
ps i posted a similar post to the LibreCAD forum.
Last edited by tux-lab on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.