casting - lathe quick change gear box

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

Well, I've been trying to learn FreeCAD, off and on, over the last couple of months. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. CAD programs are hard enough to learn with no prior knowledge. But when you have to forget about, and unlearn another CAD system as you are learning FC, well it is a lot harder, at least for me. I use Alibre Design Personal Edition. I just do it for fun you might say. I'm not a professional. I'm just a tinkerer.

OK. So here are a couple of screen shots. One of my first really successful FC parts. (more than just a box ;) )
And also my target project which I hope FC (or more correctly, OCC) will some day be able to handle.

This is something that I'm not sure about the copyrights, etc, etc, so I'm just showing the "picture". Besides, the file size is over the forum limit of 512KB.

I have, or rather my son has, the machine this would go with. It isn't available on the market. It is a DIY project.

Constructing this part is really just a lot of lines and arcs. Thanks to the folks on the forum for leading me in the right way to become more efficient in my sketching. In retrospect, really pretty simple.

And now... heeerrrrre's QCGB (quick change gear box)

You'll notice a fillet in the center cavity, on the edge of the ledge. If I try 2 fillets, OCC coughs up. But you get the idea.

And this is what I hope to be able to accomplish someday with FreeCAD.

I'll keep practicing on all of the different parts until such time as I can finish the difficult ones in FC. By that time the Assembly module should be finished and I can show the finished product from FC.

I'ts fun.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

oldestfox: A friendly suggestion based on this snippet:
oldestfox wrote:But when you have to forget about, and unlearn another CAD system as you are learning FC, well it is a lot harder, at least for me.
What CAD program is that? (I suspect AutoCAD, based on your input in Mantis). If so, I suggest you try ProgeCAD Smart 2009 available here:
http://www.progesoft.com/en/products/progecad-smart/

It's only for 2D work and if you're used to using AutoCAD you already know how to use ProgeCAD.

Before starting it would be helpful to read the review dated April 10, 2012 by zjac61
http://download.cnet.com/progeCAD-2009- ... 77485.html

Particularly the part that reads:
Not all menus and toolbars are are available to beginner and intermediate users. To change the experience level of the user (and what menus and toolbars that are available to them) go to Tools -> Options -> General tab -> then in the Experience subwindow you can change the experience level to advanced if you like. This might have been the reason some users said they had to type in the snap commands each pick.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Tsk-tsk, recommending closed source software here is bad form. ;)

But on that subject, as far as AutoCAD clones go, DraftSight is much better than ProgeCAD Smart which dates back from 2009 (I tried it back then and it was buggy). DraftSight is based on ARES from Graebert which was programmed from scratch, while ProgeCAD is based on IntelliCAD which has a very old and decrepit code base. Bricsys, a Begium company that produces another AutoCAD clone, BricsCAD, also abandonned IntelliCAD and started from scratch years ago.

Another AutoCAD clone which is apparently pretty good but which I never tried is DoubleCAD XT from IMSI Design, also free.
oldestfox

Post by oldestfox »

bejant wrote: What CAD program is that? (I suspect AutoCAD, based on your input in Mantis).
I use Alibre Design Personal Edition, the lowest tier of three. It is now owned by 3D Systems. They have changed the branding of it. The upper 2 tiers are known as "Geomagic Design" and the lowest tier (old Personal Edition) is know as "Cubify Design".
For what I do, which is hobby level 3D CAD models, it works just fine for me. I don't need all of the upper level engineering type modules. (FEM, Sheet Metal, Motion, etc, etc,)

It is still, as far as I know, the most inexpensive fully parametric 3D CAD system on the market. (they keep raising the price though) The "Cubify Design" is currently available for U.S. $300.00 and you have to pay every year for "maintenance" if you want it. That includes upgrades and support. (I got started with it a whole lot cheaper... "free")

I got my first taste of AutoCAD back in the early 80's. with Ver. 1. It was released on, if I remember right, 14 5.25 inch floppy discs. I didn't really like it then and didn't stay with it. I have played around with AutoCAD R14. I still don't like it. :o

I have seen some of the projects and know that FreeCAD has it in itself for the future. I'll keep watching. Good luck to all of the contributors of projects for the completion of the projects. And "well done" to the developers. Hang in there! :D
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

normandc wrote:Tsk-tsk, recommending closed source software here is bad form.
Yes, I know and agree. It's a touchy subject but my motive was only to be helpful. Let's face it, most FreeCAD users do in fact use at least some closed source / proprietary software. I think that's a good thing because a variety of FreeCAD users have different (experience relating to / expectations of / suggestions for) FreeCAD based his / her background. A shallow pool of thought is not good.
oldestfox wrote:It is still, as far as I know, the most inexpensive fully parametric 3D CAD system on the market.
:lol: he he he ...FreeCAD is.
oldestfox wrote:I have seen some of the projects and know what FreeCAD has it in itself for the future.
I can see the light too.

Gotta hit the rack. For me: end of hijacked thread.