Just made a chair and new on freecad forum

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KFMadsen

Just made a chair and new on freecad forum

Post by KFMadsen »

stol.png
stol.png (467.26 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
Hello, I have just been added as a user on the Freecad Forum. Been following Freecad and different forum topics for some years now, so thought it would be natural next step to be a forum member.

I've made a chair today using Freecad (0.20) and Blender, rendering... Lots of fun and I think i've attached it above...? It is just a design concept, not yet with precise measurements...

Kindly KFM
PS. Many thanks for the awsome work through the years creating and developing Freecad. Many thumbs up
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Just made a chair and new on freecad forum

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing! It isn't the most comfortable chair I've ever seen :) , but I like it for the simplicity of the geometric elements used.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KFMadsen

Post by KFMadsen »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:45 am Thanks for sharing! It isn't the most comfortable chair I've ever seen :) , but I like it for the simplicity of the geometric elements used.
:)

chrisb, I would totally agree on your point. Probably not the most comfortable chair around...Perhaps it would help with some pillows... By the way, the chair is meant to be made by 21 mm birch plywood, and the cuts could probably best be done with a cnc...

The chair originally had a very different look, which I have been drawn by hand, but I think this look was to difficult to draw in Freecad at my current level - therefore the more geometrical (and colorful) chair which I have currently drawn. I have attached the the original drawing, which I probably at some point will draw in Freecad (if I can). Finally, I think that the original chair must be very difficult to produce in reality... Thinking it could be made in Ash wood if it were to be made some day...

Kindly, KFM
Attachments
chair.jpg
chair.jpg (172.18 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

With a bit more experience this can very well be modeled in FreeCAD. For the 3-dimensional bent wood you can use a sweep, possibly with different sections. To get the 3-dimensional paths you may consider what is known here as Wilfried's trick.
Of course you should model only half of it and mirror it to get the other half.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KFMadsen

Post by KFMadsen »

chrisb, Thank you very much for suggestions on how I could draw the original chair in Freecad.

It is precisely the strategy on how to go about drawing the chair, which I think is difficult...

Kindly, KFMadsen