Bunk bed - FreeCAD Production use + Assembly instructions

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
doia

Re: Bunk bed - FreeCAD Production use + Assembly instructions

Post by doia »

Thank you for your description. Very informative. 👍
babaroga
Location: Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Post by babaroga »

paullee wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:19 am I see, sorry for the noise, anyway, that's cool :D

(Are you supposed to post those images )
It is Ok. It was only fittings.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Very impressive! I'm interested in what you're doing in TechDraw.and what in LibreOffice Draw and Inkscape.

I've tried a combination of TechDraw and QCAD during my last bigger project (woodworking including assemblies) but in the end I've done all drawings in TechDraw. My main goal was to minimize to time spend in TechDraw for the dimensions and stuff because I had some drawings which took veeeery long to recompute. I wasn't able to "get warm" with QCAD and my imports somehow didn't look like I've expected them. To be fair: I haven't used QCAD before - maybe I did something fundamentally wrong.
babaroga
Location: Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Post by babaroga »

In Techdraw, I generate 3d views of models, avoiding screws and complicated fittings. Use some standard view orientations (I use corners of 3D cube).

In Inkscape you can add fittings. Previously, I generated 3d representation of fittings in different orientations, so I just copy/paste them. Then I add direction lines, adjust line thicknesses etc.
Screenshot_20210624_093645.png
Screenshot_20210624_093645.png (205.32 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

From postprocessed model you can also create detail views, also in Inkscape. I use same drawing, just make a round clip and enlarge it:
Screenshot_20210624_094805.png
Screenshot_20210624_094805.png (214.14 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

This cliparts are then imported to LibreOffice draw. Here I add text, position graphics etc.

Screenshot_20210624_095213.png
Screenshot_20210624_095213.png (350.38 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

In the past I did all of this similar way in SolidWorks but it is also slow when it comes to screws and lot of details.
After some time, when you have collection of generated details, It goes pretty fast. This week I made some assembly instructions for three ranges of beds with similar construction and same steps to assemble. First one took me 2 days, but second and third I did in about four hours each.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Very nice, thank you very much!
funkysod

Post by funkysod »

This is awesome! All open source tools and an absolutely amazing result. Thank you for sharing!