14mm Tiny Linear Stepper Motor

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JorgeP

14mm Tiny Linear Stepper Motor

Post by JorgeP »

Here is a tiny linear stepper motor, most likely from a camera focus mechanism. These can be found online in bags of 10, 20, 50, etc. for faily cheap. There are 3 parts: The Case, the Shaft, and the Nut.

I learned how to extrude edges and round off (bevel) edges with this project. Does not have the flex PCB connector, Magnetics, or Coils. I just made it for visualizing the size of the motor for a scale model project out of paper I have been working on, you can guess what it is by the Photos below ("No Disassemble")!

The paper models, seen in the second photo, are 1:87 custom models based on MiniModel.cz 1:100 scale papercraft and will use these motors for steering, maybe also driving since I have 40+ left :) The Daimler Ferret is 100% custom and built from actual repair and service manuals.

I also attached the project file for the Motor.
Motor-Stepper-Linear-Mini-24OhmCoils-3V-5V.png
Motor-Stepper-Linear-Mini-24OhmCoils-3V-5V.png (27.92 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
TinyStepper-01.jpg
TinyStepper-01.jpg (788.3 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
Attachments
Motor-Stepper-Linear-Mini-24OhmCoils-3V-5V.FCStd
(207.18 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
JorgeP

Re: 14mm Tiny Linear Stepper Motor

Post by JorgeP »

I finaly got around to making a PCB for this motor. I got it running using a Teensy 4.0 and an A4988 stepper driver. The video shows how small this motor realy is. I will probably revert to full stepping mode to have better torque but I don't expect much from something this small. Total motion of the Nut on the shaft is 5mm.

phpBB [video]

I don't talk about it in the video, but I was actualy going to try and use this motor in the 1:87 scale paper model I made of a 1952 Daimler Ferret (used in the Movie Short Circuit) that can be seen in the video behind the black paper that I move to uncover the screen. I will have to scale it up to maybe 1:64 or bigger to insert electronics and motors.
Pintuxgu

Re: 14mm Tiny Linear Stepper Motor

Post by Pintuxgu »

I once (15+ years ago) worked in the repair buiziness for securicty camera's.
some of them had similar sized motors in them, but they were not for autofocus.

They were for sliding an IR filter into and out of the optical path.
During daytime, you need an IR filter to get natural colors.
During night time, you want to catch all the light you can for a B/W image.

This also explains the buil-in sliding mechanism.
Things like auto-focus motors tend to be much more integrated in the lens mechanism, while the IR filter is just a small piece of coated glass that has to be moved a bit (and it's fairly non-critical).