Fillet Challenge / Problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tom_p

Fillet Challenge / Problem

Post by tom_p »

Dear FreeCad Community
Background:
i am totally new to FreeCad, but i used many different parametric CAD Software. I am mostly using Rhino 3d, that is not parametric in the sense of Body-Sketch-Feature. I am teaching CAD-Modelling with Rhino on different schools / Universities. Currently I search / evaluate different CAD-Packages to show to the students as addition. - The focus should be parametric / solid Modelling and one of the benefits i was hoping - better filleting. I like Freecad because it s easy available and i do not want to support those giant big brands that will charge a lot after the students leave university.

Question:
For an exame / test i designed the following part - as soon as someone understands / "sees" the underlaying geometry, the easiest way is to use surfaces / revolves / extrusions and trim and join everything together. But i wold love to see a solid-based workflow, that uses 3 simple bodies, fillets, boolean union / fusion, more fillets.
handle_2022.pdf
(705.25 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Already with the first fillet R6 - that would delete / kill an entire face i struggled.
I stopped modelling as soon as the second fillet after boolean -> Fillet003-should_be_R15 - did not work with the intend size.
I understand there is again a surface that complete disappears - other CAD (Creo for example, not Rhino) manage to do this kind of Fillet.

thanks for some Feedback / Advice / or even solution / or comment on the Filleting-Power of Freecad.

kind regards from Zürich / Switzerland - Tom

(sorry i just notice this is the wrong category - is it possible to change this post to the "help" category ? how ?)
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 10.18.58.png
Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 10.18.58.png (524.45 KiB) Viewed 461 times
griff2022-V2_00.FCStd
(188.52 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Fillet Challenge / Problem

Post by NewJoker »

It’s a known limitation - fillets and chamfers can’t consume adjacent faces. You have to model these features manually in such cases. Sometimes it’s enough if you just specify the fillet radius of e.g. 6.4999 instead of 6.5 mm).

Indeed, this topic should go to the Help subforum. Admins can move it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Done.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@Cekuhnen has done research about FreeCAD for his students : https://forum.freecadweb.org/memberlist ... le&u=43243