3D Printer Parts

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
clintonsam75

Re: 3D Printer Parts

Post by clintonsam75 »

ozcroz wrote:Hey clintonsam75, I think your work is really good. Posting it here is so helpful to users of FreeCAD!

I am new to FreeCAD so it is inspiring to see what can be done with this fantastic CAD software. I too would love to build my own 3D printer so your work is educational for me.

Did you design the printer yourself or is it based on an available model? Information about this and where to obtain the parts would be appreciated. If this is not allowed on the forum and you are happy to do so you could email me the information.

Thanks again for your excellent work and the kindness to share it with us on the forum! :)
Thank you for your incredible feedback! I'm very happy you find my project useful. We seem to think alike. My goal in sharing the models was to help inspire new users (like myself) in getting involved with making things and 3D printers are all the rage. I have certainly learned a lot. Hearing feedback like what you just gave me inspires me to continue on. Thank you for being a wonderful person by leaving such nice compliments.

In answer to your question, I got the idea for the design after watching this video https://vimeo.com/40914530. After watching that video, I Googled "corexy" and the top site for me turned out to be http://corexy.com which gave me all the information I needed to know about how it works. The only part of the design they explain, however, is how the "corexy" concept works. But, after I took a real close look at the machine, I saw how it was assembled and used the way they assembled their machine as a guide for mine. The biggest problem is that they use aluminum for their frame. That's not exactly something the average Joe knows how to machine. Here in Korea, I don't even know where to buy aluminum. About all that is sold in a "hardware store" here are screw drivers and drills. Good luck finding a rotary saw. You can buy the blades but you can't buy the saw. Go figure. lol. So, I decide to use wood. That's a material just about anyone can use. Sure wood warps over time, but it's extremely cheap and replacing wood is not that hard. My biggest problem was knowing how thick the wood needs to be. Wood is heavy so it shouldn't be too thick but it needs to be thick enough that it won't bend. So one day I noticed that a box my wife painted in an art class she took in our neighborhood used wood that is 1 cm thick. So that's how I decided on the thickness. I have not visited a wood shop yet to see what thicknesses are available and to look at the strengths. Maybe I'll do that next week.

Now as far as where I bought the parts, I ordered almost everything off of E-bay. I filtered searches by "new", "buy now", "free international shipping". There are a few parts I bought from Sparkfun and Robotdigg. Also there were a few items that I ordered which never arrived. I think the delivery man got angry at me for mistaking him for a "phisher" (phone scammer) and threw my packages away instead of delivering them. But still, I know that I could pay less than what I paid if I went through different channels in the future.

It will be my pleasure to post a full list of parts, their prices and links to where I purchased them. Just give me a few days.
Last edited by clintonsam75 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

clintonsam75 wrote:Video #1, the introduction, is now up and live on YouTube. https:/
Video itself is nicely done as for content you didn’t focus too much on FreeCAD itself in this first video. You said you will show the users how to make 3D printer entirely with FOSS. For that i would say you could use FOSS operating system instead of Windows but that is just my personal observation. You actually made the printer and have the parts. This is always a nice addition to have something that will be made or is already made in real world as one of the main purposes of any CAD is to do exactly that.

As for the other part of you expressing social/political/economic views and opinions about mentioned aspects of FOSS in your video tutorials. As long as they are perceived like that (you expressing your personal views other might or might not agree with) i don't have issues with that.

Beyond that good luck. It looks you have fun with this project and hope you get to your goal (100k+ views) or find some other reward in it.
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url removed because a significant portion of the video's contents is a political lecture and irrelavent to FreeCAD
ozcroz

Post by ozcroz »

Thanks clintonsam75 for your kind words and detailed reply. It's a surprise to me that in South Korea you cannot get aluminium :( I like wood as a material anyway as it is so easy to work. However it does lack the stiffness and fracture toughness of aluminium and other metals. You could order Al from Australia or US maybe - but of course mail cost and possibly import taxes may be a hurdle. Any way if you choose the right hard wood and a suitable thickness it should work well.

Just take it easy with the parts list - no need to rush as I have been looking to do something with 3D-printing and milling for a few years now but never taken the plunge yet! I am still trying to work out how to get a sketch on a part surface to be coincident with corners and edges of the part. My problem is that the I cannot highlight features of the part simultaneously with the sketch. It's a simple enough task but how to do it eludes me! I will follow some more tutorials to see if I can spot the technique. Instructions for such basic tasks do not seem to be available yet. I understand how much work must go into development of the software and that documentation is a gigantic and ongoing task. When I can achieve something new I will do my best to document it in some way for the benefit of others.

I've just noticed that you have Video #1 up on Youtube. I will check that out now! Keep up your good work Clinton and thanks again for your valuable contribution.
ektus

Post by ektus »

Aluminium profiles should be available everywhere, even in South Korea. Perhaps not in the next retail store, but surely online, e.g. http://korea.tradekey.com/aluminium-ext ... rofile.htm

That's the first non-alibaba result from a google search for "aluminium profile supplier South Korea" :-)

There's nothing wrong with using wood, but one has to take care to provide very even environmental conditions, as wood will deform with varying moisture and temperature.

Regards
Ektus.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

ektus wrote:Aluminium profiles should be available everywhere, even in South Korea. Perhaps not in the next retail store, but surely online, e.g. http://korea.tradekey.com/aluminium-ext ... rofile.htm

That's the first non-alibaba result from a google search for "aluminium profile supplier South Korea" :-)
Too bad it's not aluminum profiles that I need let alone 5 tons of it. But you obviously put an awful lot of thought and effort toward helping me out with my problem, so I appreciate the attempt. Man, if I had only thought of doing a search for aluminum extrusions in South Korea on Google. 10 years of living in Korea and the thought of using Google or Naver or Daum to find things I want just never occurred to me. It's amazing I even know about Ebay. Jeez, I must be dumb.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

clintonsam75 wrote:Man, if I had only thought of doing a search for aluminum extrusions in South Korea on Google.
clintonsam75 wrote:Here in Korea, I don't even know where to buy aluminum.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

You guys are such geniuses. I wish I were as smart as you guys. lol
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Well i doubt you will get much users interested in your project with attitude like that. But it's your project and in the end it's up to you to do whatever you see fit.

Cheers.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

Well, excuse me for standing up for myself.

Good talk.
Cheers
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

ozcroz wrote:Just take it easy with the parts list - no need to rush as I have been looking to do something with 3D-printing and milling for a few years now but never taken the plunge yet!
It's a good thing you're patient. Basically all I have to do is navigate over to Ebay, check my purchase history then start copying and pasting. Plus, I'll have to search through some emails for a couple of other parts. It probably won't take that long to do once I get started, but I've been trying to get my first video finished.

Finally, after 4 straight days, I finished the first official video. The one I posted which was less than 2 minutes long because it only introduced the upcoming series has been replaced with the final version. It's just over 16 minutes long and took me 4 days. The first half covers how to install FreeCAD v0.15 and how to ask for help here on the forum. The second half talks about direct democracy.

Official Video 01 of 25
https://

I already wrote most of the script for video 02 which covers an overview of the workbenches. The social topic in that video is republic democracy, but that section has not yet been written.
I am still trying to work out how to get a sketch on a part surface to be coincident with corners and edges of the part. My problem is that the I cannot highlight features of the part simultaneously with the sketch. It's a simple enough task but how to do it eludes me!
If I understand you correctly, do you want to line up a part from one sketch with a part from another sketch? If so, have you seen the tutorial I made about 3 weeks ago? I cover that there. https://
I will follow some more tutorials to see if I can spot the technique. Instructions for such basic tasks do not seem to be available yet. I understand how much work must go into development of the software and that documentation is a gigantic and ongoing task. When I can achieve something new I will do my best to document it in some way for the benefit of others.

Absolutely. There is a very large learning curve with CAD period and there isn't nearly enough explanatory tutorials. If you want to help with documentation, I am certain everyone will elevate you to hero status. I certainly will! :mrgreen:
I've just noticed that you have Video #1 up on Youtube. I will check that out now! Keep up your good work Clinton and thanks again for your valuable contribution.
Thanks. That was a test just to feel the water. That video was less than 2 minutes long and only introduced the upcoming series, but nevertheless it received 1,500 views before I deleted it this morning. I uploaded it's replacement last night.

Official Video 01 of 25
https://
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url removed because a significant portion of the video's contents is a political lecture and irrelavent to FreeCAD