F*watch - a completely open project using FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
mlipinsk

F*watch - a completely open project using FreeCAD

Postby mlipinsk » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 am

F*watch is a fully open electronic watch developed as a gift for a retiring colleague who loves hiking and hacking. The watch is packed with sensors: GPS, barometer, compass, accelerometer and light sensor. One of the goals of the project was to make a completely open design, i.e. not only to publish the sources, but also to develop everything using exclusively open tools, this includes: electronics, mechanics, software, and even the "making of" movie. FreeCAD was used to develop mechanics of the F*watch.

F*watch info
f_watch-case-design.png
f_watch-case-design.png (431.37 KiB) Viewed 3064 times
This project is my first mechanics/CAD design. I learned FreeCAD while doing this case. I used sketches for the design. I would appreciate feedback from the fellow FreeCAD users and FreeCAD developers on the design. In particular, I found it nearly impossible to remove sketched pockets/pads done "few steps earlier" without falling into problems. Probably, I do something wrong... As an example: I wanted to re-do the pockets for screws to keep the watch back lid(the one with the logo). I would think that I could remove the sketch080 (Pocket052) and draw a new one. Somehow, this caused the entire design to misbehave. As a work-around, I added a pad to cover the old pocket and then added new pocket - this is clearly not a good solution.

Development Environment
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.13.1830 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-13
Hash: ec7636d7aaf2612e9b43cff5d6a424037d53e505
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
jmaustpc

Re: F*watch - a completely open project using FreeCAD

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi (your first post) Welcome

interesting project.

Your FreeCAD version is obsolete, 0.14.3703 was released a while ago. Being on Ubuntu I would recomend that you install the daily version from the PPA and get all the advantages of the latest features and bug fixes.

This page in the FreeCAD wiki tells you how to install the daily PPA.
http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... A_packages
mlipinsk wrote: I found it nearly impossible to remove sketched pockets/pads done "few steps earlier" without falling into problems.
generally you can not do that when using the PartDesign Workbench. Minor changes should be OK but anything that changes the number of edges etc. will cause problems. If you have to make other than minor changes in your history, you have to delete all the Features past that point, keep the sketches, and re-map the sketches to the faces and make new features again.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4207 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: c5f2e9e56b0850d2be65bc679d83d619c5893fbe
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1.oce-0.17-dev
yorik
Site Admin

Re: F*watch - a completely open project using FreeCAD