Merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17, help wanted

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17, help wanted

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Another idea I have: Instead of creating one more workbench, why not add the drawing_dimensioning functionality to Drawing? It's not too much work, we can even leave the module organized as it is (on y the module, no new workbench), and just add the tools in Drawing... This way, the day TechDraw is fully mature, we can retire both Drawing and drawing_dimensioning...
That seems like a good plan to me.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I feel that deciding if merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17 makes sense or not is easier decision. Harder decision is deciding if there should be 2 Drawing related modules available in FreeCAD 0.17 or not.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I agree 100% Yorik.
I will create an issue on Github as to contact the 5 contributors now about changing licence to LGPL2+.

It also makes alot of sense combine the drawing and drawing dimensioning workbenches.
Might be challenging though, given that one is Python and one is C++.
hamish

Post by hamish »

triplus wrote:I feel that deciding if merging drawing_dimensioning into v0.17 makes sense or not is easier decision. Harder decision is deciding if there should be 2 Drawing related modules available in FreeCAD 0.17 or not.
Agreed.
hamish

Post by hamish »

Request to have the drawing_dimensioning licence changed:
https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... /issues/99
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

hamish wrote:It also makes alot of sense combine the drawing and drawing dimensioning workbenches.
Somewhere on my TechDraw list of things to do is "salvage neat bits of Hamish's wb?". Now, that is said from a position of ignorance since I've only used DrawingDimension once or twice. :oops:

I assume DrawingDimension works by adding chunks of Svg to Page.ViewResult? There is the DrawViewSymbol feature of TechDraw that will display Svg on the screen. It is the basis for the DrawViewDraft function. We call Draft Module python code from C++ to create the view.

I'd be happy to see somebody take a look at this, since I won't get to it for a while.

wf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As it looks like 2 drawing related workbenches will be part of FreeCAD 0.17:
hamish wrote:It also makes alot of sense combine the drawing and drawing dimensioning workbenches.
This indeed would most likely be interesting to tackle. That is on how to combine current C++ Drawing WB with i guess a Python module having Drawing WB related commands in it.

Would something like importing Python module and setting up toolbars/commands in InitGui.py suffice? I guess if it would be as easy as that it would be explored in the past already.
hamish

Post by hamish »

wandererfan wrote: Somewhere on my TechDraw list of things to do is "salvage neat bits of Hamish's wb?".
The great news is that the licence for drawing_dimensioning has now been changed to LGPL-2.1.
So please help yourself to any neat bits :D
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

triplus wrote:As it looks like 2 drawing related workbenches will be part of FreeCAD 0.17:
This indeed would most likely be interesting to tackle. That is on how to combine current C++ Drawing WB with i guess a Python module having Drawing WB related commands in it.

Would something like importing Python module and setting up toolbars/commands in InitGui.py suffice? I guess if it would be as easy as that it would be explored in the past already.
FreeCAD allready has a wb in which python tools an C++ tools coexist side by side. FEM wb is developed in C++ and python.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bernd wrote:FreeCAD allready has a wb in which python tools an C++ tools coexist side by side. FEM wb is developed in C++ and python.
I see. Therefore if my understanding is correct:

Drawing WB and TechDraw are not the same under the hood. Drawing Dimensioning module works good with Drawing WB. Down to parametric dimensions. Combining this two could be a good fit and likely the combination should be enabled side-by-side with TechDraw in FreeCAD 0.17?