[Merged] PR#1148: Backup files policy

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PR#1148: Backup files policy

Post by chrisb »

triplus wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:46 pm I see. Well you i guess did satisfy all the requirements and different views expressed. Hopefully no regression was introduced in this area. From FreeCAD 0.17 point of view. That is if PR will be merged before FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle starts.
I would prefer to shift this to 0.18. It is not an urgent task and at the same time regressions can be fatal if things go really wrong.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Likely Werner will need to take a look and decide if there is any potential for introducing regression (when using default settings). This basically is a new feature and not a bug fix. But if no regressions can be foreseen and as it was made optional and disabled by default. I don't have strong opinion on this anymore. That is regarding FreeCAD 0.17 inclusion.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

I agree with chrisb. I just commit a change because I detected that the behavior of renames is different between Linux and Windows. I think it is better to take some time to experiment this change before having it in an official distribution.

Thank you again to sgrogan for the help he has been providing me to compile on windows, so I can test my changes on two systems.

I am happy that we come to state where it can be accepted.

I will now concentrate entirely on colors management.

chrisb would like to embed more functionalities and can take this change forward if he wants to.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yeah. I stated such strategy would likely make sense on multiple occasions. It's just you gave a strong impression you would really like to have your work upstreamed in FreeCAD 0.17. Well in the end i guess all good. Especially as the potential bugs are involved.

Respecting the feature freeze it is then. ;) And see you in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

The shame is that this PR could have been discussed 2 month earlier and the changes requested could have been implemented then.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

plgarcia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 am The shame is that this PR could have been discussed 2 month earlier and the changes requested could have been implemented then.
Yeah. Sorry for not trying harder.

P.S. Fix detected bugs, re-test things again. Make sure you didn't touch and introduce regressions in default behavior. Tell us when all that is done. After lets see what happens (regarding FreeCAD 0.17).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

plgarcia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 amThe shame is that this PR could have been discussed 2 month earlier
Sorry about that, it's a delicate matter and also a specific problem nobody else was really experiencing. I'll test your branch ASAP, Werner will need to have a look too, and hopefully we merge it before the release. In any case, now that it is optional, it's OK for me :)
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

triplus wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:16 am P.S. Fix detected bugs, re-test things again. Make sure you didn't touch and introduce regressions in default behavior. Tell us when all that is done. After lets see what happens (regarding FreeCAD 0.17).
What problem did you detect? On what OS?

I pushed a last commit at 9:00 UTC this mornig. In fact I replaced the last commit. When did you take the version ?
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

triplus wrote: Ok I just gave it a test, for me it is OK now, it runs nicely, you can switch between the two systems, etc...
@wwmayer I'll wait for you to have a look, if you don't mind...
As I saaid I commit a last change because of the different behavior of renames I did not detect ealyer. Sorry for that!
plgarcia wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 am ... I just commit a change because I detected that the behavior of renames is different between Linux and Windows. ...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @plgarcia.

We did our part. Due to the area PR touches now it is more or less up to the Werner. If he will "click" on the merge button before or after FreeCAD 0.17 release.

P.S. Hard to say what will happen. The tension for sure is high. The time is running out and the implemented feature count might or might not increase. Not for the faint of heart. ;)