[Merged]Ship module bug fixes

Merged, abandoned or rejected pull requests are moved here to clear the main Pull Requests forum.
sanguinariojoe

[Merged]Ship module bug fixes

Post by sanguinariojoe »

I have fixed some bugs in the Ship module, and updated the windows installer. I disabled the BEM simulations stuff (under development) as well.

Please could you merge the sanguinariojoe-ship branch (http://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ ... ship/tree/) into the master one?

The branch has been already regenerated and rebased.

Thanks!!!
jriegel
Founder

Re: Ship module bug fixes

Post by jriegel »

Done!

Thanks!
Stop whining - start coding!
sanguinariojoe

Post by sanguinariojoe »

Thanks to you! ;)
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

I'm having problem with windows installer and ship module.

basically - it reports some errors on latest master

Regards
Petar
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Actually I don't maintain the wix installer any more, since I plan to switch to an other installer.

Wix is very powerful, but incredibly complicated...
I never get the Update install running and for every python file added you have to edit like crazy!...

I would go for either NSIS : http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
or Ino: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It looks like the cpack module of cmake should be able in some future to produce a windows installer file too... ( http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Compone ... With_CPack ) That would be a dream, have cmake to compile and produce deb packages and windows installer files! Maybe some - even more distant - day mac packages too!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

and produce deb packages
IMO this doesn't make much sense because for different Debian/Ubuntu releases you need different package dependencies which would become a nightmare if we wanted to maintain this in the CMake files.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:IMO this doesn't make much sense because for different Debian/Ubuntu releases you need different package dependencies which would become a nightmare if we wanted to maintain this in the CMake files.
Yes probably... But cpack is still young, maybe in some future that kind of problems can be more easily addressed... Honestly I haven't looked much into cpack yet
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I will take a look in cPack (again), cause it can generate a NSIS script file for an windows installer.

Building distro packages is a lost battle, even for the big ones. I'm still think thats the work of the distro maintainer!
We deliver the tar package end they pull from us.

The main problem at the moment is that we, cause of this damned GPL problem, are not in the normal release and build cycle so far. After we made it to a normal free distro package it should be no problem for us anymore.....
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jriegel wrote:Building distro packages is a lost battle, even for the big ones. I'm still think thats the work of the distro maintainer!
We deliver the tar package end they pull from us.
How many times have we discussed this? :D I do not agree. Distros have their own release cycles and you can wait a very long time to see the latest FreeCAD release in the distros' repos. Look at Ubuntu, 13.04 came out in April, 3 months after 0.13.1830 was released, yet the 18-month old v0.12.5284 is still there. Ubuntu 12.04 will be maintained until 2017 and I'm willing to bet money it will still have the by then prehistoric v0.12 in its repos! :roll:

It's worse with other distros. If we leave this to those distro maintainers FreeCAD will never be up to date and this will be detrimental to Linux users. Not every Linux end-user is up to the task of compiling.

And why the double standard? FreeCAD provides installers for Windows, why not provide only a tarball like for Linux and the hell with it? :twisted:

With some much needed help from Werner at the beginning and some occasional help from him now and then, I am now providing Ubuntu packages so you guys don't have to. What would be most useful would be for other volunteers to join in and take care of at least the other major distros, and do it in a regular manner. Obviously more easily said than done.