Export to dxf

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
foxint

Re: Export to dxf

Postby foxint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 pm

WOW...

The new file opens so easily. I normally have to find my drawings somewhere on the screen, It is green and clear, mine is how you say Donald Ducked. I actually though my little panel was not too bad....but it was a total mess.

Mine was never green???

I still cannot export your excellent file to dxf.

ahhhhh
foxint

Postby foxint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Guy....thank you

I still have a long way to go. I live in the Australian bush and time to close the office.
Hope you are still talking to me tomorrow.

Thank you
kisolre

Postby kisolre » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm

TechDraw_Module
TechDraw.JPG
TechDraw.JPG (155.17 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Scale view to 50% to fit in drawing.
TechDraw_ScaleView.JPG
TechDraw_ScaleView.JPG (162.39 KiB) Viewed 156 times
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 pm

foxint wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:01 pm
I still cannot export your excellent file to dxf.
Just select the sketch first, then file menu ....export.....select dxf and type in a name for your file. Its that easy.

DXF is for 2d objects, generally speaking, so if you wanted to export a 2d view of a solid object, you would first have to create a 2d object from it or just use the TechDraw WB. But in your case you have a sketch which is already only 2d so just select the sketch in the treeview, then go to the file menu and export it.

The most common confusion with Export from FreeCAD is that you do not export the entire file or project, you just export one item from within your file/project. So select just one item first, in this case the sketch, and then just export it.
roerich_64

Postby roerich_64 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 pm

foxint wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 am
I think I needstep-by-step instructions with pictures. But these do not exist.
have you done your DXF-Export, or do you need more help?

greetings from northern flatlands of germany to australian bush ;)
Walter
foxint

Postby foxint » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm

kisolre wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm
TechDraw_Module
TechDraw.JPG
Scale view to 50% to fit in drawing.
TechDraw_ScaleView.JPG
Guys - no it did not work as it is supposed to. Lefts start at the beginning and I am obviously missing some very simple thing:
1. As you may/may not see on my screen capture: I get only a few buttons that are not greyed out. So the important one (dxf) is grey
2. I followed the File/Export/dxf - put in a name ....result is: Export of this object is not supported by Drawing module
3. I have no idea how to "Scale view to 50% to fit in drawing

There is a missing step somewhere and I have no idea where it is.

Guys - you all have been great. But there is something you know and assume I know that I do not know.

My best wishes to you all from the brown dry Australian bush....Do not believe any of the tourist information, it is dry, it is brown (mostly) and it si very expensive. Hence me doing my own CAD - trying and failing to do my own CAD. This was an easy question, I have an even easier one that I have been struggling with for months....but after exporting the dxf....
:-(
Attachments
Capture-2019-04-16.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16.JPG (124.11 KiB) Viewed 118 times
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 am

foxint wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 pm
Guys - no it did not work as it is supposed to. Lefts start at the beginning and I am obviously missing some very simple thing:
1. As you may/may not see on my screen capture: I get only a few buttons that are not greyed out. So the important one (dxf) is grey
2. I followed the File/Export/dxf - put in a name ....result is: Export of this object is not supported by Drawing module
3. I have no idea how to "Scale view to 50% to fit in drawing
I imagine you are seeing something like this on your screen:
PSU-2U_TD.png
PSU-2U_TD.png (167.11 KiB) Viewed 109 times
The chequerboard background of your drawing tells us that it was made with the old Drawing WB. TechDraw WB can not export drawings created with the Drawing WB.

The Drawing WB will export the page (including borders and info block) as DXF, but you have to be in the Drawing WB:
PSU-2U_Drawing.png
PSU-2U_Drawing.png (159.12 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Select the Page in the tree and use File>Export....

If you are sending the DXF to a cutting shop, you probably don't want the borders, etc. For that, export from the 3D window by selecting the sketch, the File>Export....

Sorry, but I can't figure out how to generate the " Export of this object is not supported by Drawing module" message.
foxint

Postby foxint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 am

Thank you

But no luck. It will not export to dxf using drawing or tech drawing

Perhaps if some kind soul would take me through it step-by-step. I am obviously missing something important

Dan...
Attachments
Capture-2019-04-16-02.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16-02.JPG (124.58 KiB) Viewed 106 times
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:37 am

foxint wrote:
Guys - no it did not work as it is supposed to.
Yes, actually it did, it perfectly followed the instructions you gave it, ....problem is you gave it impossible instructions. Go back to my last post and exactly follow my instructions ....
foxint wrote:
Lefts start at the beginning and I am obviously missing some very simple thing
Yes you are...based on your screen shots....
1) READ THE WIKI .... HERE IS THE WORKBENCHES PAGE, click on each one before you use it and read what it is actually supposed to do. Workbenches

2) forget and do not ever use Drawing WB...it is deprecated...it is there so that you can open OLD files that contain a Drawing WB "drawing"
You did not first create a drawing in drawing wb and then you tried to use a tool designed to work on a 2d Drawing WB object but you were trying to use it on a sketch so of course it says its not a Drawing WB object The purpose of Drawing WB is to extract a 2d drawing FROM a 3D object, put it on a page of paper and print it. That page can be exported to dxf or pdf etc. rather than sending it to your physical printer. If you do want to do that in the future then use TechDraw WB.

3) just open the file containing the sketch, select the sketch but don't open it into its edit mode, then while still in Part, Start or pretty much any WB, JUST GO INTO "FILE" MENU AND SELECT EXPORT!
foxint

Postby foxint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 am

Hi JM

Thank you for your reply.

I am very sorry. I followed the instructions and I did not get a dxf. I am obviously doing/did something wrong, but I have no idea and no idea how to fix.

I have read the Wiki on workbenches. I not really sure what they all mean. So which one should I use say for my rack panels. This is as advanced as I am at the moment.

Drawing Work Bench - are you telling me never use this? I have no idea what I opened/used to make my panel

Your point 3).....so it needs to be (the drop-down box 1st 1/3 of top ribbon) Part...OK....Part File/export .....then Export of this object is not supported by Drawing module - see my screen shot.

So from my end it is and had never worked for me. There is something that I need to do/no do or something you are not telling me. I am even using the Kiss file from (I think) the German guy. My file seems to be cactus...for some reason....

sorry I will have to say HELP
Attachments
Capture-2019-04-16-03.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16-03.JPG (109.43 KiB) Viewed 89 times