TechDraw: center lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

TechDraw: center lines

Postby drmacro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm

The Add centerline to face allows either a vertical or horizontal centerline.

In most drafting systems there is an option to actually create a centerline cross, as most every circle is requires this dimension the center of the circle/arc.

Is this possible in TechDraw?

Or possibly a new option for add centerline?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
User avatar
Roy_043
Posts: 1562
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby Roy_043 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 pm

There are preferences for this:
TechDraw_Preferences#Annotation
drmacro
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby drmacro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 pm
There are preferences for this:
TechDraw_Preferences#Annotation

Are ytou referring to "center marks"?

I see nothing about center crosses...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
User avatar
Roy_043
Posts: 1562
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby Roy_043 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm

drmacro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm
I see nothing about center crosses
Center marks are little + signs. Isn't that what you mean?
drmacro
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby drmacro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Roy_043 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm
drmacro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm
I see nothing about center crosses
Center marks are little + signs. Isn't that what you mean?
No, those are nice and may met some dimensioning standard, I don't know. I'm referring to more traditional:
CenterCross.png
CenterCross.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 168 times
And, I can never get those little + signs to show up anyway... :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
User avatar
wandererfan
Posts: 4045
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby wandererfan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

drmacro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm
In most drafting systems there is an option to actually create a centerline cross, as most every circle is requires this dimension the center of the circle/arc.

Is this possible in TechDraw?

Or possibly a new option for add centerline?
Not possible other than by creating both horizontal and vertical centerlines.

Sounds like a good option. I've never really been happy with the centermarks.
drmacro
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby drmacro » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm
drmacro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm
In most drafting systems there is an option to actually create a centerline cross, as most every circle is requires this dimension the center of the circle/arc.

Is this possible in TechDraw?

Or possibly a new option for add centerline?
Not possible other than by creating both horizontal and vertical centerlines.

Sounds like a good option. I've never really been happy with the centermarks.
I wrote the code to do it in AutoLISP 30 years ago...maybe I could re-create it in Python.

But it'd be from scratch...since I didn't keep a floppy with a copy. ;) 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
chrisb
Posts: 25836
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: TechDraw: center lines

Postby chrisb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:21 pm

drmacro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 pm
And, I can never get those little + signs to show up anyway... :roll:
ArcCenterMarks is a boolean property in the view's View properties:
Attachments
Snip macro screenshot-cb0111.png
Snip macro screenshot-cb0111.png (16.17 KiB) Viewed 84 times