Parametric view locations in the TechDraw

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nowayno

Parametric view locations in the TechDraw

Post by nowayno »

I created a box model for laser cutting so I need the only "top" of every detail. I inserted them all to the TechDraw page and located them with small gaps between them all. However, when I change the original box dimensions to make it bigger, all part on the TechDraw became overlapped.

My question: Is it possible in the TechDraw to place details' views parametrically :?:

I mean is it possible to make the location of one view be related to the boundaries of another, so that when size of the first view will be changed, the location of the second one will accordingly be shifted to stay next to the first view with the desired gap?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Parametric view locations in the TechDraw

Post by chrisb »

nowayno wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 am My question: Is it possible in the TechDraw to place details' views parametrically :?:
Yu can use Expressions for the X and Y properties.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
nowayno

Post by nowayno »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm ... for the X and Y properties.
Oh. Yes. That's what I searched for.
However, I used to see coordinates at the bottom of the Properties list and missed them on top for the Views. Thanks a lot.
nowayno

Post by nowayno »

And one more piece of advice, please.
I have the box walls as a polar array. When I insert an array to the TD it's inserting as one combined image. And I did not find a way to insert each array element that I need, because some walls have unique holes.

And in general - is there any way to put all(selected) objects to the TD and later "rotate" each of them in TD individually to locate them "face to top"?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

nowayno wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:58 pm I have the box walls as a polar array. When I insert an array to the TD it's inserting as one combined image. And I did not find a way to insert each array element that I need, because some walls have unique holes.
I'm afraid I don't understand. If you have holes in some of the instances, then you have a cut at top level of the tree, and you should insert that into the TechDraw page
And in general - is there any way to put all(selected) objects to the TD and later "rotate" each of them in TD individually to locate them "face to top"?
It should be possible by editing the properties, but that was for me too much fiddling around, so I am faster turning it in 3D view and add it then to the TechDraw page.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.