Working with angles and multiple parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BartvanS

Working with angles and multiple parts

Post by BartvanS »

Hi Everybody,

I am new to freecad and I am trying to recreate this design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2188329.

My version will be made to support a vesa mount(those used to hold a monitor). This is what i currently have:

https://ibb.co/Yp90fps

As seen at the thingiverse design, i still need to implement a xbox controller holder.
The problem is that that i cant just extrude something. The xbox holder needs to go sideways.
This is what i did so far:
https://ibb.co/6ZJL6qy
I tried to hack it by padding it to the desired position, the center and then pocket the remainder off. The pad function gives the error: "pad: result has multiple solids. this is not supported at this time."
Can someone show me the correct way to tackle this problem? my file is given as an attachment named "vesa".

Any help would be very much appreciated!

my freecad data:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
vesa.FCStd
(35.44 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
vesa example 2.PNG
vesa example 2.PNG (5.85 KiB) Viewed 782 times
vesa example.PNG
vesa example.PNG (20.13 KiB) Viewed 782 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Working with angles and multiple parts

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When doing the pad check the "Reversed" box.

Besides: The thing is symmetric, so it would have been easier if you had made it symmetric to the Y axis.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Try checking the reversed checkbox.
Snip macro screenshot-4f7a9d.png
Snip macro screenshot-4f7a9d.png (59.57 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Welcome to the forum, pretty good first post.

You managed to include all the useful info required, pics as well! :D

Alas I don't really understand the problem. To create a pad that doesn't throw the error, click 'reversed' button in pad dialogue(Padding is out of the screen as one looks at the sketch.)

You can then proceed with pockets. A note about your model, it is almost always best to centre everything around the origin, makes using the std planes much easier. ;) :)
Snip macro screenshot-a9d8d0.png
Snip macro screenshot-a9d8d0.png (27.57 KiB) Viewed 752 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

or "up to face"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:07 pm or "up to face"
"To last" would be stable, "To face" is prone to break due to the topological naming problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BartvanS

Post by BartvanS »

Hi Y'all :) !

Thank you for the very kind and quick response! Very helpfull. I am still not really clear on why the reversed option worked the way it did and although there probably is a better way to do this that I still need to find, is my first version done!
link!

Thank you all!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

BartvanS wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm I am still not really clear on why the reversed option worked the way it did and although there probably is a better way to do this that I still need to find, is my first version done!
Looking at the sketch plane a pad get's out towards you which means in this case it is not on but rather besides its support. It then has no intersection with the rest of the body, which is (currently) not allowed. Reversing the pad makes it go away from you.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

BartvanS wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:24 pm I am still not really clear on why the reversed option worked the way it did
I have created lots of models, and I still need to check reversed at times when I did not expect it. I believe FreeCAD is 100% repeatable with respect to this function, but humans are not. :o

If you are working purely on the x-y plane then there are few suprises. However, for most other orientations it is not easy to figure out which way is up.

Just hit reverse when needed.

Gene